Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Failed validation doesn't stop page from posting back

Failed validation doesn't stop page from posting back

GoCMS

Hi, guys:

I'm developing with .net 2.0 framework. I found the validation control (
no matter it's a required field validation, custom validation or some others
) doesn't really stop the page from posting back.

What happens is even though the error message displays on the page, the
page still posts back to the server with the invalid data. This is pretty
annoying.

I searched online and found some solution, such as

do a "net_regiis.exe -ea " followed by a "net_regiis.exe -c" to delete all
old client-side javascript from previous .net versions and install the
current javascript.

Also I right click the iis property pages and do a "remove application" and
"recreate" the application. This temporarily fixes the problem. I immediately
get a page which stops posting back. However, the moment I do another refresh
the page, this problem comes back, the page consistently sending the invalid
data to server.

So.... after all this story, i wonder, is there any way to fix this issue. I
can't really imagine doing all validation javascript by myself without using
any validator control. Maybe someone here have the same issues and could give
me a clue?

Thank you very much?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

With validation controls, you still have to check on the server side for
validation and if the page is not valid stop the user from submitting. While
the client side may stop some button events, it is still not enough to avoid
other types of hack attacks.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside of the box!
"GoCMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, guys:
>
> I'm developing with .net 2.0 framework. I found the validation control (
> no matter it's a required field validation, custom validation or some
> others
> ) doesn't really stop the page from posting back.
>
> What happens is even though the error message displays on the page, the
> page still posts back to the server with the invalid data. This is pretty
> annoying.
>
> I searched online and found some solution, such as
>
> do a "net_regiis.exe -ea " followed by a "net_regiis.exe -c" to delete all
> old client-side javascript from previous .net versions and install the
> current javascript.
>
> Also I right click the iis property pages and do a "remove application"
> and
> "recreate" the application. This temporarily fixes the problem. I
> immediately
> get a page which stops posting back. However, the moment I do another
> refresh
> the page, this problem comes back, the page consistently sending the
> invalid
> data to server.
>
> So.... after all this story, i wonder, is there any way to fix this issue.
> can't really imagine doing all validation javascript by myself without
> using
> any validator control. Maybe someone here have the same issues and could
> give
> me a clue?
>
> Thank you very much?

GoCMS

Yeah, I understand that. There is server check in my code.
It's just I'm not doing anything fancy. Just a couple of required field
validator and I would expect they're providing some mechanism to stop the
user on the client side as the first prevention.

Since there're so many people are using validation control, they got to be
working for them. I might miss something or there might be some walk around.

Thanks.