Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > asp.net 20 menu control useless ? [server callback, no menuitem click]

asp.net 20 menu control useless ? [server callback, no menuitem click]

Rickie

Dear fellow software engineers,

Is the web menu in asp 2.0 essentielle a useless control ?
How many people( including msdn itself) are using server menu
controls?
Its a menu which always postback to server, which cant be caught on
the event of a menuitem. Wouldnt we rather use other ways of making
menus which are essentially clientsite ? With its postback its
certainly not high on usebility. Then we have to use ajax or
javascript injection to make it clientsite again( if the last is even
possible). What in heavens name is the use of this highly advocated
control ?

Tx for answers..

Rick

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

Rickie,
I'm not particularly enamored of it myself, but I wouldn't say it is
"useless". It all depends on what you expect it to be able to do.

If you look on the Control Gallery at ASP.NET there are 52 of them you can
choose from, some are free:

http://www.asp.net/ControlGallery/de...=32&tabindex=6

Peter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

"Rickie" wrote:

> Dear fellow software engineers,
>
> Is the web menu in asp 2.0 essentielle a useless control ?
> How many people( including msdn itself) are using server menu
> controls?
> Its a menu which always postback to server, which cant be caught on
> the event of a menuitem. Wouldnt we rather use other ways of making
> menus which are essentially clientsite ? With its postback its
> certainly not high on usebility. Then we have to use ajax or
> javascript injection to make it clientsite again( if the last is even
> possible). What in heavens name is the use of this highly advocated
> control ?
>
> Tx for answers..
>
> Rick

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hey Rick,

If your question is whether there are better menu controls than Microsoft's
freebie, the answer is 'certainly'.

I do work for guys who have a top-rated menu with all the bells and AJAX
whistles. Downside is that it costs a few bucks:

http://www.componentart.com/menu/default.aspx

Ken
Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

"Rickie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear fellow software engineers,
>
> Is the web menu in asp 2.0 essentielle a useless control ?
> How many people( including msdn itself) are using server menu
> controls?
> Its a menu which always postback to server, which cant be caught on
> the event of a menuitem. Wouldnt we rather use other ways of making
> menus which are essentially clientsite ? With its postback its
> certainly not high on usebility. Then we have to use ajax or
> javascript injection to make it clientsite again( if the last is even
> possible). What in heavens name is the use of this highly advocated
> control ?
>
> Tx for answers..
>
> Rick

Rickie

Op Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:40:20 -0400 schreef "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Hey Rick,
>
>If your question is whether there are better menu controls than Microsoft's
>freebie, the answer is 'certainly'.
>
>I do work for guys who have a top-rated menu with all the bells and AJAX
>whistles. Downside is that it costs a few bucks:
>
>http://www.componentart.com/menu/default.aspx
>
>Ken
>Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

Exactly my point. The asp 2.0 menu in itself is pretty useless. That
was the assertion and you seem to give supportive evidence. Someone
else even mentioned a site with 55 different menu implementations of
which even only a few even EXTEND the asp.net menu. In itself the menu
has NO USE and even for extension its pretty difficult to use/ ergo
their are much better ways for make client site navigation without
postbacks.

Rick

>"Rickie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Dear fellow software engineers,
>>
>> Is the web menu in asp 2.0 essentielle a useless control ?
>> How many people( including msdn itself) are using server menu
>> controls?
>> Its a menu which always postback to server, which cant be caught on
>> the event of a menuitem. Wouldnt we rather use other ways of making
>> menus which are essentially clientsite ? With its postback its
>> certainly not high on usebility. Then we have to use ajax or
>> javascript injection to make it clientsite again( if the last is even
>> possible). What in heavens name is the use of this highly advocated
>> control ?
>>
>> Tx for answers..
>>
>> Rick

Alessandro Zifiglio

hi Rick, if your menu structure is so deep and you need to load on demand,
then maybe what you really want to use is a treeview. A dropdown menu that
loads on demand for every node i mouseover, is not all that pretty and
usable. Pretty irritating actually, atleast from a users view point.
Ofcourse this is my humble opinion
That said, i have still yet to see a thirdparty menu component that has a
serverside API as rich as the standard navigation menu provided in asp.net
2.0
If you really want to extend then you might want to try going the adapter
route or overriding the original rendering, and i'll admit its not a walk in
the park, however it is doable.

Regards,
Alessandro Zifiglio
"Rickie" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Op Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:40:20 -0400 schreef "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>Hey Rick,
>>
>>If your question is whether there are better menu controls than
>>Microsoft's
>>freebie, the answer is 'certainly'.
>>
>>I do work for guys who have a top-rated menu with all the bells and AJAX
>>whistles. Downside is that it costs a few bucks:
>>
>>http://www.componentart.com/menu/default.aspx
>>
>>Ken
>>Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

> Exactly my point. The asp 2.0 menu in itself is pretty useless. That
> was the assertion and you seem to give supportive evidence. Someone
> else even mentioned a site with 55 different menu implementations of
> which even only a few even EXTEND the asp.net menu. In itself the menu
> has NO USE and even for extension its pretty difficult to use/ ergo
> their are much better ways for make client site navigation without
> postbacks.
>

> Rick
>

>>"Rickie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Dear fellow software engineers,
>>>
>>> Is the web menu in asp 2.0 essentielle a useless control ?
>>> How many people( including msdn itself) are using server menu
>>> controls?
>>> Its a menu which always postback to server, which cant be caught on
>>> the event of a menuitem. Wouldnt we rather use other ways of making
>>> menus which are essentially clientsite ? With its postback its
>>> certainly not high on usebility. Then we have to use ajax or
>>> javascript injection to make it clientsite again( if the last is even
>>> possible). What in heavens name is the use of this highly advocated
>>> control ?
>>>
>>> Tx for answers..
>>>
>>> Rick

Ray Booysen

Now that your rant is over, can we move right along?

Rickie wrote:
> Op Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:40:20 -0400 schreef "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>> Hey Rick,
>>
>> If your question is whether there are better menu controls than Microsoft's
>> freebie, the answer is 'certainly'.
>>
>> I do work for guys who have a top-rated menu with all the bells and AJAX
>> whistles. Downside is that it costs a few bucks:
>>
>> http://www.componentart.com/menu/default.aspx
>>
>> Ken
>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

> Exactly my point. The asp 2.0 menu in itself is pretty useless. That
> was the assertion and you seem to give supportive evidence. Someone
> else even mentioned a site with 55 different menu implementations of
> which even only a few even EXTEND the asp.net menu. In itself the menu
> has NO USE and even for extension its pretty difficult to use/ ergo
> their are much better ways for make client site navigation without
> postbacks.
>

> Rick
>

>> "Rickie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Dear fellow software engineers,
>>>
>>> Is the web menu in asp 2.0 essentielle a useless control ?
>>> How many people( including msdn itself) are using server menu
>>> controls?
>>> Its a menu which always postback to server, which cant be caught on
>>> the event of a menuitem. Wouldnt we rather use other ways of making
>>> menus which are essentially clientsite ? With its postback its
>>> certainly not high on usebility. Then we have to use ajax or
>>> javascript injection to make it clientsite again( if the last is even
>>> possible). What in heavens name is the use of this highly advocated
>>> control ?
>>>
>>> Tx for answers..
>>>
>>> Rick

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

So Rickie,
I think you've made your subjective point, e.g. "The Standard ASP.NET 2.0
Menu Control is Useless".

So what are you gonna do now?

"Rickie" wrote:

> Op Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:40:20 -0400 schreef "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> >Hey Rick,
> >
> >If your question is whether there are better menu controls than Microsoft's
> >freebie, the answer is 'certainly'.
> >
> >I do work for guys who have a top-rated menu with all the bells and AJAX
> >whistles. Downside is that it costs a few bucks:
> >
> >http://www.componentart.com/menu/default.aspx
> >
> >Ken
> >Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

> Exactly my point. The asp 2.0 menu in itself is pretty useless. That
> was the assertion and you seem to give supportive evidence. Someone
> else even mentioned a site with 55 different menu implementations of
> which even only a few even EXTEND the asp.net menu. In itself the menu
> has NO USE and even for extension its pretty difficult to use/ ergo
> their are much better ways for make client site navigation without
> postbacks.
>

> Rick
>

> >"Rickie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Dear fellow software engineers,
> >>
> >> Is the web menu in asp 2.0 essentielle a useless control ?
> >> How many people( including msdn itself) are using server menu
> >> controls?
> >> Its a menu which always postback to server, which cant be caught on
> >> the event of a menuitem. Wouldnt we rather use other ways of making
> >> menus which are essentially clientsite ? With its postback its
> >> certainly not high on usebility. Then we have to use ajax or
> >> javascript injection to make it clientsite again( if the last is even
> >> possible). What in heavens name is the use of this highly advocated
> >> control ?
> >>
> >> Tx for answers..
> >>
> >> Rick

Edwin Knoppert

The menu can call any http or js function

"Rickie" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear fellow software engineers,
>
> Is the web menu in asp 2.0 essentielle a useless control ?
> How many people( including msdn itself) are using server menu
> controls?
> Its a menu which always postback to server, which cant be caught on
> the event of a menuitem. Wouldnt we rather use other ways of making
> menus which are essentially clientsite ? With its postback its
> certainly not high on usebility. Then we have to use ajax or
> javascript injection to make it clientsite again( if the last is even
> possible). What in heavens name is the use of this highly advocated
> control ?
>
> Tx for answers..
>
> Rick

Rickie

Please do, I doubt you understand the challenge or reason for it.
Regards,
Rick

Op Wed, 28 Jun 2006 11:33:18 +0100 schreef Ray Booysen
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

>Now that your rant is over, can we move right along?
>
>Rickie wrote:
>> Op Tue, 27 Jun 2006 20:40:20 -0400 schreef "Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>
>>> Hey Rick,
>>>
>>> If your question is whether there are better menu controls than Microsoft's
>>> freebie, the answer is 'certainly'.
>>>
>>> I do work for guys who have a top-rated menu with all the bells and AJAX
>>> whistles. Downside is that it costs a few bucks:
>>>
>>> http://www.componentart.com/menu/default.aspx
>>>
>>> Ken
>>> Microsoft MVP [ASP.NET]

>> Exactly my point. The asp 2.0 menu in itself is pretty useless. That
>> was the assertion and you seem to give supportive evidence. Someone
>> else even mentioned a site with 55 different menu implementations of
>> which even only a few even EXTEND the asp.net menu. In itself the menu
>> has NO USE and even for extension its pretty difficult to use/ ergo
>> their are much better ways for make client site navigation without
>> postbacks.
>>

>> Rick
>>

>>> "Rickie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Rickie

Edwin,

Tx for your response. Still I am curious why the sophisticated people
of microsoft have designed a rich component like the menu which
is *not* clientsite. Do you think they really make components which
are not usable in itself but only with clientsite script ?

And then another point. How difficult or easy would it be to call http
or js from a menuitem handler ?

Ricky