Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > how to get the text in JS of a cell created on server?

how to get the text in JS of a cell created on server?

Bob

Hi,

I have already posted a similar problem but it 's still a problem for me, so

I define a table in aspx file and Javascript code.
Purpose: when the user clicks on any cell of the table, the text of it must
be rendered in an Alert.

<asp:Table ID="table1" runat="server">
</asp:Table>

function tableclick(event)
{
strid=window.event.srcElement.id
alert(strid) // this works: i get e.g. 3:2
strid=window.event.srcElement.text}
alert(strid) // this doens't work ("undefined")
}

I create row and cells in the code-behind:
Dim r As TableRow
Dim c(50, 20) As TableCell
For i = 0 To 50
r = New TableRow()
For j = 0 To 20
c(i, j) = New TableCell()
c(i, j).ID = j & ":" & i.ToString
r.Cells.Add(c(i, j))
Next
Table1.Rows.Add(r)
Next

c(3, 2).Text = "this is the text i want in Javascript"

My problem is that the Alert gives "undefined".
I can get the 'ID' of each cell, why not the 'text'?
I know there is the property 'ClientID' but it's overruled by the ID i
defined in the code, so that's not the point (i think).

Thanks for help.
Bob

Bob

I tried with innerText, innerHtml, text .... alwyas the sale 'undefined'.
In the code-behind, i have no choice: after the dot after c(i,j) i only can
take 'text'.
There must be an equivalence between 'text' in code-behind and a property in
html, no?
..

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...asp?frame=true

> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have already posted a similar problem but it 's still a problem for

me,
> > so
> > ..
> >
> > I define a table in aspx file and Javascript code.
> > Purpose: when the user clicks on any cell of the table, the text of it
> > must
> > be rendered in an Alert.
> >
> > <asp:Table ID="table1" runat="server">
> > </asp:Table>
> >
> > <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
> > function tableclick(event)
> > {
> > strid=window.event.srcElement.id
> > alert(strid) // this works: i get e.g. 3:2
> > strid=window.event.srcElement.text}
> > alert(strid) // this doens't work ("undefined")
> > }
> >
> > I create row and cells in the code-behind:
> > Dim r As TableRow
> > Dim c(50, 20) As TableCell
> > For i = 0 To 50
> > r = New TableRow()
> > For j = 0 To 20
> > c(i, j) = New TableCell()
> > c(i, j).ID = j & ":" & i.ToString
> > r.Cells.Add(c(i, j))
> > Next
> > Table1.Rows.Add(r)
> > Next
> >
> > c(3, 2).Text = "this is the text i want in Javascript"
> >
> > My problem is that the Alert gives "undefined".
> > I can get the 'ID' of each cell, why not the 'text'?
> > I know there is the property 'ClientID' but it's overruled by the ID i
> > defined in the code, so that's not the point (i think).
> >
> > Thanks for help.
> > Bob

Marina Levit [MVP]

No, there isn't necessarily.

Code behind is just an object with some properties that are intuitive. In
the end, that in memory object will be turned into a bunch of HTML streamed
down to the browser. So there is not necessarily a correspondance between
the javascript and .NET properties.

Example, the button class has a Text property. But, when that is streamed
down, it is streamed down as an INPUT element, which has a value HTML
property.

I am guesing that this event is not firing on the element you think it is
firing on. You should find out which element it is, and what type it is, to
see what properties or methods it has available.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried with innerText, innerHtml, text .... alwyas the sale 'undefined'.
> In the code-behind, i have no choice: after the dot after c(i,j) i only
> can
> take 'text'.
> There must be an equivalence between 'text' in code-behind and a property
> in
> html, no?
> ..
>

> "Marina Levit [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Depending on the type of element it is, it may not have a 'text'
>> property.
>> Try 'innerText' or 'innerHTML' depending on what you want.
>>
>> I recommend you use the following reference for DHTML so you know what
>> you
>> can do with what objects:
>>

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...asp?frame=true
>>
>> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have already posted a similar problem but it 's still a problem for

> me,
>> > so
>> > ..
>> >
>> > I define a table in aspx file and Javascript code.
>> > Purpose: when the user clicks on any cell of the table, the text of it
>> > must
>> > be rendered in an Alert.
>> >
>> > <asp:Table ID="table1" runat="server">
>> > </asp:Table>
>> >
>> > <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
>> > function tableclick(event)
>> > {
>> > strid=window.event.srcElement.id
>> > alert(strid) // this works: i get e.g. 3:2
>> > strid=window.event.srcElement.text}
>> > alert(strid) // this doens't work
>> > ("undefined")
>> > }
>> >
>> > I create row and cells in the code-behind:
>> > Dim r As TableRow
>> > Dim c(50, 20) As TableCell
>> > For i = 0 To 50
>> > r = New TableRow()
>> > For j = 0 To 20
>> > c(i, j) = New TableCell()
>> > c(i, j).ID = j & ":" & i.ToString
>> > r.Cells.Add(c(i, j))
>> > Next
>> > Table1.Rows.Add(r)
>> > Next
>> >
>> > c(3, 2).Text = "this is the text i want in Javascript"
>> >
>> > My problem is that the Alert gives "undefined".
>> > I can get the 'ID' of each cell, why not the 'text'?
>> > I know there is the property 'ClientID' but it's overruled by the ID i
>> > defined in the code, so that's not the point (i think).
>> >
>> > Thanks for help.
>> > Bob

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

most dom objects have an innerHTML and innerText, be sue you are spelling
them correctly as javascript is case sensitive.

note: window.event is IE only.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I tried with innerText, innerHtml, text .... alwyas the sale 'undefined'.
> In the code-behind, i have no choice: after the dot after c(i,j) i only
> can
> take 'text'.
> There must be an equivalence between 'text' in code-behind and a property
> in
> html, no?
> ..
>

> "Marina Levit [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Depending on the type of element it is, it may not have a 'text'
>> property.
>> Try 'innerText' or 'innerHTML' depending on what you want.
>>
>> I recommend you use the following reference for DHTML so you know what
>> you
>> can do with what objects:
>>

> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...asp?frame=true
>>
>> "Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have already posted a similar problem but it 's still a problem for

> me,
>> > so
>> > ..
>> >
>> > I define a table in aspx file and Javascript code.
>> > Purpose: when the user clicks on any cell of the table, the text of it
>> > must
>> > be rendered in an Alert.
>> >
>> > <asp:Table ID="table1" runat="server">
>> > </asp:Table>
>> >
>> > <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
>> > function tableclick(event)
>> > {
>> > strid=window.event.srcElement.id
>> > alert(strid) // this works: i get e.g. 3:2
>> > strid=window.event.srcElement.text}
>> > alert(strid) // this doens't work
>> > ("undefined")
>> > }
>> >
>> > I create row and cells in the code-behind:
>> > Dim r As TableRow
>> > Dim c(50, 20) As TableCell
>> > For i = 0 To 50
>> > r = New TableRow()
>> > For j = 0 To 20
>> > c(i, j) = New TableCell()
>> > c(i, j).ID = j & ":" & i.ToString
>> > r.Cells.Add(c(i, j))
>> > Next
>> > Table1.Rows.Add(r)
>> > Next
>> >
>> > c(3, 2).Text = "this is the text i want in Javascript"
>> >
>> > My problem is that the Alert gives "undefined".
>> > I can get the 'ID' of each cell, why not the 'text'?
>> > I know there is the property 'ClientID' but it's overruled by the ID i
>> > defined in the code, so that's not the point (i think).
>> >
>> > Thanks for help.
>> > Bob

Bob

Thanks, it works with innerText.

"bruce barker (sqlwork.com)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote