Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Design-Time UserControl Property Setting

Design-Time UserControl Property Setting

Alex Maghen

I have a UserControl with a single constituent DropdownList control. My
control takes 2 important properties:

Property 1: "ListSource" is a key in a database for pulling out the list
that will populate the contents of the DropdownList.

Property 2: "SelectedValue" is the actual selected Value in the DropdownList.

Here's my problem: If the lifecycle of the page that uses my control, I'm
noticing that things happen in the following order:
a. The page's Page_Load() happens
b. My control's SelectedValue.Set property is called
c. My control's Page_Load() happens

Now, here's the problem with that: In my control, the process that causes
the contituent DropdownList to get populated with items ocurrs in the
control's Page_Load() event. As a result, the parent page is trying to set my
control's SelectedValue property BEFORE the control has been populated and,
therefore, it fails.

Now, theoretically, I'd want to popultae my control's items at some other
time in the life-cycle, but the problem is that I can't do that populating
until I get the design-time property, "ListSource" which tells me how to
populate it.

Can you help me figure out how I can gain access to these design-time
properties and populate my control *before* the Page_Load of the parent page
ocurrs?

Thanks.

Alex

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alex,

Thank you for posting here.

As for the UserControl's property setting issue you mentioend, based on my
understanding it is due to the ascx usercontrol's server-side processing
model. And the event sequence you found is correct:

===============
a. The page's Page_Load() happens
b. My control's SelectedValue.Set property is called
c. My control's Page_Load() happens
===============

Actually , to be more decent, the complete steps here should be:

=============
*Page's Load event
....... some other events
*Control's parsing and initializing (set intial value for those custom
properties)
..... some other events
*Control's load event
==============

I guess that your usercontrol's "SelectedValue" is implemented as below:
=============
public string SelectedValue
{
get{
return DropDownList1.SelectedValue;
}

set
{
DropDownList1.SelectedValue = value;
}
}
=============

If so, since when the "SelectedValue" of the Usercontrol is called, the
inner sub dropdownlist control may haven't been databound(populate data),
then there will occur exceptions. To void this problem, we can just change
our custom properties(on the usercontrol)'s implemenation instead of moving
the databound code of the dropdownlist into other events. Generally, I
would prefer to implement a custom property through a private field .e.g.

private string _selectedvalue;

public string SelectedValue
{
get{
return _selectedvalue;
}

set
{
_selectedvalue = value;
}
}

Thus, when the usercontrol is intializing at runtime, the custom
properties' intial value will be stored in these private fields. And in
usercontrol's Load event, we can populate data of other sub controls(such
as dropdownlist) through these private fields' value. e.g.

===============
{

//perform databinding on dropdownlist first

dropdownlist1.SelectedValue = _selectedValue;

}

===========================

This can help make the sub controls' properties be updated successfully
after it has been populated with data(through databiding).

Anyway, below is my test usercontrol's complete code, you can have a look
if necessary

=========ascx=========
<%@ Control Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="ListUC.ascx.cs"
Inherits="UserControls_ddl_ListUC" %>
<asp:Label ID="lblCategories" runat="server" Text="Categories:
"></asp:Label>
<aspropDownList ID="lstCategories" runat="server">
</aspropDownList>

==========code behind=========
public partial class UserControls_ddl_ListUC : System.Web.UI.UserControl
{

private int _count;
private string _selectedvalue;

public int Count
{
get { return _count; }
set { _count = value; }
}

public string SelectedValue
{
get { return _selectedvalue; }
set { _selectedvalue = value; }
}

{
if(!IsPostBack)
{

string sql = "select TOP {0} CategoryID, CategoryName from
Categories";

SqlConnection conn = new
SqlConnection(WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionSt rings["LocalNorthwindConnS
tr"].ConnectionString);

conn.Open();

SqlCommand comm = new SqlCommand(string.Format(sql, _count), conn);
SqlDataReader reader =
comm.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection );

lstCategories.DataSource = reader;
lstCategories.DataTextField = "CategoryName";
lstCategories.DataValueField = "CategoryName";

lstCategories.DataBind();

reader.Close();

lstCategories.SelectedValue = _selectedvalue;

}

}
}
=============================

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Alex Maghen

Steven -

One thing about your sample code below...
If I look at your Page_Load(), I see that you fill the DDL only under
circumstances when this is not a PostBack (!IsPostBock). That's fine for
filling the DDL. But I notice that you actually also set the DDL's selected
value only when it's NOT a PostBack too. Is this right? If so, and I set the
SelectedValue property during a PostBack, the chance I make won't show up,
right? Don't I have to handle this property regardless of whether it is or is
not a PostBack?

Alex

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> set { _selectedvalue = value; }
> }

> {
> if(!IsPostBack)
> {
>
> string sql = "select TOP {0} CategoryID, CategoryName from
> Categories";
>

> SqlConnection conn = new
> SqlConnection(WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionSt rings["LocalNorthwindConnS
> tr"].ConnectionString);
>
> conn.Open();
>
> SqlCommand comm = new SqlCommand(string.Format(sql, _count), conn);
> SqlDataReader reader =
> comm.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection );
>
> lstCategories.DataSource = reader;
> lstCategories.DataTextField = "CategoryName";
> lstCategories.DataValueField = "CategoryName";
>

> lstCategories.DataBind();
>
> reader.Close();
>
> lstCategories.SelectedValue = _selectedvalue;

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Alex,

I think you've made a good question. Actually the previous example I
provided simply store the usercontrol's custom property into a class field,
and this field won't be stored into any persistent storage(also I only
apply it onto the dropdownlist in the first load), therefore any change in
the dropdownlist's selectedItem won't be synchornized to the custom
property , nor will it be persisted between multiple postbacks. To resolve
this, we need to do two things:

1. We need to synchronize the dropdownlist's change on the "SelectedValue"
to our usercontrol's "SelectedValue" whenever the dropdownlisted's
"SelectedValue" is changed(by user or by code).

2. We need to store our usercontrol's "SelectedValue" into a persistent
storage so that we can always restore the status between multiple
postbacks.

Here is a modified version of the test usercontrol:

==ascx remain the same========

==========codebehind========
public partial class UserControls_ddl_ListUC : System.Web.UI.UserControl
{

private int _count;

public int Count
{
get { return _count; }
set { _count = value; }
}

public string SelectedValue
{
get { return ViewState["_selectedvalue"] as string; }
set
{
ViewState["_selectedvalue"] = value;
}
}

{

Response.Write("<br/>Page_Load........");
if (!IsPostBack)
{
string sql = "select TOP {0} CategoryID, CategoryName from
Categories";

SqlConnection conn = new
SqlConnection(WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionSt rings["LocalNorthwindConnS
tr"].ConnectionString);

conn.Open();

SqlCommand comm = new SqlCommand(string.Format(sql, _count),
conn);
SqlDataReader reader =
comm.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection );

lstCategories.DataSource = reader;
lstCategories.DataTextField = "CategoryName";
lstCategories.DataValueField = "CategoryName";

lstCategories.DataBind();

reader.Close();

}

}

protected void Page_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
lstCategories.SelectedValue = SelectedValue;

}

protected void lstCategories_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender,
EventArgs e)
{
SelectedValue = lstCategories.SelectedValue;
}
}
==========================

In the new one, I persist the usercontrol's "SelectedValue" into ViewState.
Also, I used DropDownlist's "SelectedIndexChanged" event to synchronize the
usercontrol's "SelectedValue" with dropdownlist's "SelectedValue". And
another important change is I apply the usercontrol's "SelectedValue" to
the dropdownlist in the "Prerender" event, this is the last event before
page render whether the change can be persisted into page's ViewState.

Hope this helps. If there is still anything unclear, please feel free to
post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Alex Maghen

Steven -

Thanks for this. But I still have strange things going on. Also, it seems
like there's still something not quite right about your sample:

I noticed that the SelectedValue property GET for your sample does
return(ViewState["_SelectedValue]...

But I'm not sure if this is right because the only way you have for that
information to be updated is in a server-side SelectedIndexChanged() event on
the pull-down. Is that really want we want to do?

Isn't there a nice, simple, stripped-down sample control that shows the
right places to do all these types of things?

Alex

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
>
> }
>
> protected void lstCategories_SelectedIndexChanged(object sender,
> EventArgs e)
> {
> SelectedValue = lstCategories.SelectedValue;
> }
> }
> ==========================
>
> In the new one, I persist the usercontrol's "SelectedValue" into ViewState.
> Also, I used DropDownlist's "SelectedIndexChanged" event to synchronize the
> usercontrol's "SelectedValue" with dropdownlist's "SelectedValue". And
> another important change is I apply the usercontrol's "SelectedValue" to
> the dropdownlist in the "Prerender" event, this is the last event before
> page render whether the change can be persisted into page's ViewState.
>
> Hope this helps. If there is still anything unclear, please feel free to

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup Alex,
Here is my comments ni line:

Thanks for this. But I still have strange things going on. Also, it seems
like there's still something not quite right about your sample:
=============================
Would you please let me know the "strange things" you met or provide me a
test page to demonstrate the issue.

But I'm not sure if this is right because the only way you have for that
information to be updated is in a server-side SelectedIndexChanged() event
on
the pull-down. Is that really want we want to do?
===============================
In addition to the "SelectedIndexChanged() " event handler, the
"SelectedValue" property's setter method will also update the
ViewState["_selectedvalue"]. Here I use ViewState to persist the custom
property("SelectedValue"), also, since the usercontrol's "SelectedValue"
property should always represent the curent selected state of the inner
dropdownlist, whenever the dropdownlist has been changed, we need to
synchornize the dropdownlist.SelectedValue with our usercontrol's
"SelectedValue" property. And the "SelectedIndexChanged" is the only event
to synchorize the selected value from dropdownlist to usercontrol's
property.

Isn't there a nice, simple, stripped-down sample control that shows the
right places to do all these types of things?
============================
Yes, I admit that the example usercontrol involves several events to make
it complete, however, I did this because each of the events has its own
functionality and followup the ASP.NET page/server control's server-side
lifecycle.

The inline attribute value is assigned to the usercontrol's Property at
initiailze time( when the usercontrol is loaded and is before init or load
event)

<uc1:ListUC ID="ListUC1" runat="server" Count="7" SelectedValue="Produce" />

So we can not directly assign the "SelectedValue" to
dropdownlist.SelectedValue in the setter , because at that time, the
dropdownlist is still not created and hasn't been populated with any data.
So I store it into a intermediate place, and since we need to make it
persisted across multiple postback, I choose ViewState.

In addition, I place the assignment from usercontrol's "SelectedValue" to
dropdownlist.SelectedValue like:

=========
protected void Page_PreRender(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
lstCategories.SelectedValue = SelectedValue;

}
==========

in the usercontrol's "PreRender" event because at that time, the
dropdownlist is certainly intialized and loaded(also populated with data
through databinding), and any changes on server control in PreRender event
will be able to persisted into ViewState(if that state does be stored in
ViewState).

BTW, if we're developing a custom web server control(not ascx usercontrol),
there is some other patterns we can follow to create the control
structure(such as put most sub control constructing code in
"CreateChildControls" method), however, since this is a usercontrol, I'd
rather use the current pattern in my test control.

Anyway, please feel free to let me know your point or the problem you want
to address so that we can concentrate more on them.

In addition, here are some good articles describes ASP.NET page/controls'
lifecycle and server-side processing model which will be helpful to us when
creating custom web server control:

#ASP.NET Page Life Cycle Overview

#Maintaining State in a Control
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...ainingStateInC
ontrol.asp?frame=true

#Understanding ASP.NET View State (ASP.NET Technical Articles)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...us/dnaspp/html
/viewstate.asp

http://delphi.about.com/library/weekly/aa051705a.htm

Hope this also helps some.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Alex Maghen

Steven -

I *will* send you a sample of my code but before I do, can you answer
something that might help me debug this bizzarre "collision" problem I'm
having between two instances of my control on the same page?

My sample ASPX page has two of the MyCtl controls on it. And inn the ASPX
page's Page_Load(), I have the following:

if (!IsPostBack)
{
MyCtl1.SelectedValue = "MikeL";
MyCtl2.SelectedValue = "AlexM";
}

When I do this, strangely, both controls show up with "AlexM" selected even
though I have NO static members, functions, variable, etc. *anywhere* in
MyCtl. NOW, if I comment out the send line...

if (!IsPostBack)
{
MyCtl1.SelectedValue = "MikeL";
//MyCtl2.SelectedValue = "AlexM";
}

then both controls come up with the default SelectedValue (blank), as if the
first one was never set. FINALLY - and this is the one I REALLY don't get -
if I comment out the FIRST line instead of the second one...

if (!IsPostBack)
{
//MyCtl1.SelectedValue = "MikeL";
MyCtl2.SelectedValue = "AlexM";
}

I get a far stranger problem! In this case I get a runtime "Cannot have
multiple items selected in a DropDownList" error. What does this even mean?
How is it even possible? I'm looking at my code and the only time I EVER make
an assignment to me constituent DropDownList inside my control is when I do
a simple "DDL.SelectedValue = ...". So even if I do that several times, how
could it ever result in this error?

Your thoughts? If this still doesn't mean anything to you, I'll send you a
code sample. THANKS!

Alex

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
>
> BTW, if we're developing a custom web server control(not ascx usercontrol),
> there is some other patterns we can follow to create the control
> structure(such as put most sub control constructing code in
> "CreateChildControls" method), however, since this is a usercontrol, I'd
> rather use the current pattern in my test control.
>
> Anyway, please feel free to let me know your point or the problem you want
> to address so that we can concentrate more on them.
>
> In addition, here are some good articles describes ASP.NET page/controls'
> lifecycle and server-side processing model which will be helpful to us when
> creating custom web server control:
>
> #ASP.NET Page Life Cycle Overview
>
> #Maintaining State in a Control
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...ainingStateInC
> ontrol.asp?frame=true
>
> #Understanding ASP.NET View State (ASP.NET Technical Articles)

I admit that I can not quite get what happened inside, but I'm sure this is
an abnormal behavior. Anyway, I've attached my complete test usercontrol
and a test (attached them in this message, you can get it if you're reading
the newsgroup though Outlook express). Meanwhile, you can also send me a
simplified control with a test page to demonstrate your issue at your
earliest convenience.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Alex Maghen

Steven -

CRAP! I hate when I have to admit this kind of thing but... after all
that... I figured it out and it's all my fault. Let's pretent this problem
never happened and thanks so much for your help!

Alex

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Thanks for your response Alex,
>
> I admit that I can not quite get what happened inside, but I'm sure this is
> an abnormal behavior. Anyway, I've attached my complete test usercontrol
> and a test (attached them in this message, you can get it if you're reading
> the newsgroup though Outlook express). Meanwhile, you can also send me a
> simplified control with a test page to demonstrate your issue at your
> earliest convenience.
>
> Looking forward to your response.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Community Support

> rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alex,

Really glad that you've figured it out and I think it most important that
everything start working correctly.

Have a good day!