Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Custom Server Control Design Best Practices?

Custom Server Control Design Best Practices?

Kenneth Baltrinic

Anybody seen any good documentation, paterns or best practices on how to
design and develop custom ASP.Net server controls?
I am looking for good examples and discussions on the following topics,
among others:

How to best use CopyBaseAttributes and Apply Styles? And just how to best
render all those standard style attributes and other properties you inherit
from Web.UI.Control and Web.UI.WebControls.WebControl.

When should one Overide RenderBeginTag and RenderEndTag, etc, ver just
overrideing Render?

Here is a big one: best practices for developing client side object models
and communicating client side state changes beyond just s simple value back
to the server?

Teemu Keiski

There are a few books such as Developing ASP.NET Server Control and
Components, MSpress which is currently the best book about the subject
(although it is written for v1, it still applies)

Then there are a few articles:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...NETContDev.asp

Note behind that link, there are more than one article. There are many more,
if you check the left treeview navigation.

--
Teemu Keiski
ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...