Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > CompositeControl and Toolbox

CompositeControl and Toolbox

CMM

This has been asked repeatedly many times and no one has been able to answer
it. Now, I have the problem too..... why are CompositeControls so hard to
make show up in the Toolbox? Why do they show up sometimes and then
disappear? What's magic combination of tricks need to happen in order for
this to work.

Why is this so hard? Was this tested? Who is in charge of this "feature" in
ASP.NET?

No, there is nothing wrong with the control. The attribitutes
ToolboxItemAttribute and ToolboxData have been added. The control compiles
with no errors. It can be used in pages by (handtyping the tags).

Also, the bigger question.... why is the Designer in ASP.NET so inept? So
featureless? So crappy? And so stupid? Whose idea was it to spend time on
(the rather useless and featureless) Master Pages feature instead of making
Custom Controls truly a worthwhile enterprise.... like an easy to create
UserControl that can act as a Panel (wouldn't that render MasterPages
obsolete?)

- Frustrated in New York,
C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

CMM

The solution is to remove the control project from your web solution and
simply add a reference to the built dll manually to the toolbox. VS/ASP.NET
is too stupid to pick up the controls when the project is part of the
solution..... it does try... but, whoever coded this "feature" is braindead.

This makes debugging the controls a little tedious... but at least it works.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

"CMM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OMo%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This has been asked repeatedly many times and no one has been able to
> answer it. Now, I have the problem too..... why are CompositeControls so
> hard to make show up in the Toolbox? Why do they show up sometimes and
> then disappear? What's magic combination of tricks need to happen in order
> for this to work.
>
> Why is this so hard? Was this tested? Who is in charge of this "feature"
> in ASP.NET?
>
> No, there is nothing wrong with the control. The attribitutes
> ToolboxItemAttribute and ToolboxData have been added. The control compiles
> with no errors. It can be used in pages by (handtyping the tags).
>
> Also, the bigger question.... why is the Designer in ASP.NET so inept? So
> featureless? So crappy? And so stupid? Whose idea was it to spend time on
> (the rather useless and featureless) Master Pages feature instead of
> making Custom Controls truly a worthwhile enterprise.... like an easy to
> create UserControl that can act as a Panel (wouldn't that render
> MasterPages obsolete?)
>
> - Frustrated in New York,
> C. Moya
> www.cmoya.com

Alessandro Zifiglio

hi, if it happens again instead of removing the control project from your
web solution , choose Clean myCustomCompositeControlProject from the build
menu in VS.NET to delete any intermediate and output files, leaving only the
project and component files, from which new instances of the intermediate
and output files can then be built and after this step, from the build menu
choose Build myCustomCompositeControlProject. Now going into your webproject
in designview you will see your component in the toolbox =P

Good day,
Alessandro Zifiglio
"CMM" <(E-Mail Removed)> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The solution is to remove the control project from your web solution and
> simply add a reference to the built dll manually to the toolbox.
> VS/ASP.NET is too stupid to pick up the controls when the project is part
> of the solution..... it does try... but, whoever coded this "feature" is
> braindead.
>
> This makes debugging the controls a little tedious... but at least it
> works.
>
> --
> -C. Moya
> www.cmoya.com
>
> "CMM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OMo%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This has been asked repeatedly many times and no one has been able to
>> answer it. Now, I have the problem too..... why are CompositeControls so
>> hard to make show up in the Toolbox? Why do they show up sometimes and
>> then disappear? What's magic combination of tricks need to happen in
>> order for this to work.
>>
>> Why is this so hard? Was this tested? Who is in charge of this "feature"
>> in ASP.NET?
>>
>> No, there is nothing wrong with the control. The attribitutes
>> ToolboxItemAttribute and ToolboxData have been added. The control
>> compiles with no errors. It can be used in pages by (handtyping the
>> tags).
>>
>> Also, the bigger question.... why is the Designer in ASP.NET so inept? So
>> featureless? So crappy? And so stupid? Whose idea was it to spend time on
>> (the rather useless and featureless) Master Pages feature instead of
>> making Custom Controls truly a worthwhile enterprise.... like an easy to
>> create UserControl that can act as a Panel (wouldn't that render
>> MasterPages obsolete?)
>>
>> - Frustrated in New York,
>> C. Moya
>> www.cmoya.com

CMM

No, it still picks and chooses which items to display. Ignoring
CompositeControls and showing derived controls.

Removing the project and simply referencing the DLL works as it should.

Yes, this is a stupid bug.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com