Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Custom Panel

Custom Panel

CMM

Can't figure this one out... seems like it should be a no-brainer. Is it
possible to create a UserControl that can act as a container a la the Panel
control?... not a "naming container" or anything fancy.... just a simple
container.

Basically I have a pretty custom table that I'd like to reuse (code-reuse---
always a good thing). Seems to me that it should be as easy as creating a
UserControl and plopping
a placeholder in it for the area where controls can be added by the page
designer. Wouldn't this be much better than MasterPages or things of the
sort for creating truly clean websites?

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

Karl Seguin [MVP]

What you are talking about is achieved only via a custom server control -
which, depending on what you are doing, isn't a trivial task.

A good place to start might be:
http://scottonwriting.net/sowblog/posts/355.aspx

But there's really no way to achieve this with a user control - you can add
them to the toolbox

Karl

--
http://www.openmymind.net/

"CMM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't figure this one out... seems like it should be a no-brainer. Is it
> possible to create a UserControl that can act as a container a la the
> Panel
> control?... not a "naming container" or anything fancy.... just a simple
> container.
>
> Basically I have a pretty custom table that I'd like to reuse
> (code-reuse--- always a good thing). Seems to me that it should be as
> easy as creating a UserControl and plopping
> a placeholder in it for the area where controls can be added by the page
> designer. Wouldn't this be much better than MasterPages or things of the
> sort for creating truly clean websites?
>
> --
> -C. Moya
> www.cmoya.com

CMM

Ugh. This sort of thing should be trivial. ASP.NET is like a Lexus luxury
car but with manual cranks to open and close the windows.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

"Karl Seguin [MVP]" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME
net> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> What you are talking about is achieved only via a custom server control -
> which, depending on what you are doing, isn't a trivial task.
>
> A good place to start might be:
> http://scottonwriting.net/sowblog/posts/355.aspx
>
> But there's really no way to achieve this with a user control - you can
> add them to the toolbox
>
> Karl
>
> --
> http://www.openmymind.net/
>

> "CMM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can't figure this one out... seems like it should be a no-brainer. Is it
>> possible to create a UserControl that can act as a container a la the
>> Panel
>> control?... not a "naming container" or anything fancy.... just a simple
>> container.
>>
>> Basically I have a pretty custom table that I'd like to reuse
>> (code-reuse--- always a good thing). Seems to me that it should be as
>> easy as creating a UserControl and plopping
>> a placeholder in it for the area where controls can be added by the page
>> designer. Wouldn't this be much better than MasterPages or things of the
>> sort for creating truly clean websites?
>>
>> --
>> -C. Moya
>> www.cmoya.com

Why is there no "Java Control Panel" for J2EE v5upd14 ? Reinstall Java Control Panel possible? Ulf Meinhardt Java 0 07-07-2009 08:38 AM
Swing, JTabbedPane/Panel/Panel JC Java 1 08-09-2006 09:44 PM
Delete a panel inside a panel (2) HS1 Java 4 12-08-2004 02:48 AM
Delete a panel inside a panel HS1 Java 3 12-07-2004 10:50 PM
Email From Forms with asp:panel.(s) Only one panel works? Harry ASP .Net 3 11-10-2003 03:13 AM

Advertisments