Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Preferred IDE

Preferred IDE

Rusty Owens

I am new to .NET. I have been doing web development using ColdFusion
for 5 years. I am trying to determine if there is a standard IDE for
asp.net. I have downloaded Webmatrix from Microsoft but I am
wondering if it is more of a project than an accepted standard since
they also have Visual Studio.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

studio is the way to go. webmatrix is for those on a budget.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
"Rusty Owens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I am new to .NET. I have been doing web development using ColdFusion
> for 5 years. I am trying to determine if there is a standard IDE for
> asp.net. I have downloaded Webmatrix from Microsoft but I am
> wondering if it is more of a project than an accepted standard since
> they also have Visual Studio.

Alex Papadimoulis

Rusty,

Although Alvin recommended Visual Studio, here's my two cents. I've found
Visual Studio to be great for everything but webforms. It's HTML handling is
terrible and you're forced to use the Inheritance code behind model (which,
I've thought was a bad choice from day one, and am thrilled to see it no
longer required in VS2005). I use Dreamweaver, and the "Code-Aside" model
(<script runat=server src=myPage.aspx.vb>). You'll find VS.NET easier to
use, but I think you'll have a much better end product by going wih
something that handles HTML much better and doesn't use the Inheritance
code-behind.

-- Alex Papadimoulis

,
"Rusty Owens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am new to .NET. I have been doing web development using ColdFusion
> for 5 years. I am trying to determine if there is a standard IDE for
> asp.net. I have downloaded Webmatrix from Microsoft but I am
> wondering if it is more of a project than an accepted standard since
> they also have Visual Studio.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

WebMatrix is free, Visual Studio.NET is definitely not free.
You get what you pay for.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"Rusty Owens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am new to .NET. I have been doing web development using ColdFusion
> for 5 years. I am trying to determine if there is a standard IDE for
> asp.net. I have downloaded Webmatrix from Microsoft but I am
> wondering if it is more of a project than an accepted standard since
> they also have Visual Studio.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

> and you're forced to use the Inheritance code behind model (which,
> I've thought was a bad choice from day one, and am thrilled to see it no
> longer required in VS2005).

What's your source for this?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
"Alex Papadimoulis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rusty,
>
> Although Alvin recommended Visual Studio, here's my two cents. I've found
> Visual Studio to be great for everything but webforms. It's HTML handling
> is
> terrible and you're forced to use the Inheritance code behind model
> (which,
> I've thought was a bad choice from day one, and am thrilled to see it no
> longer required in VS2005). I use Dreamweaver, and the "Code-Aside" model
> (<script runat=server src=myPage.aspx.vb>). You'll find VS.NET easier to
> use, but I think you'll have a much better end product by going wih
> something that handles HTML much better and doesn't use the Inheritance
> code-behind.
>
> -- Alex Papadimoulis
>
> ,
> "Rusty Owens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> I am new to .NET. I have been doing web development using ColdFusion
>> for 5 years. I am trying to determine if there is a standard IDE for
>> asp.net. I have downloaded Webmatrix from Microsoft but I am
>> wondering if it is more of a project than an accepted standard since
>> they also have Visual Studio.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Code behind is no longer required; VS2005 has good support for using a
single file for your HTML source and server code.
Inheritance is still used in VS2005, although much of the boilerplate code
is now hidden behind the scenes.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > and you're forced to use the Inheritance code behind model (which,
> > I've thought was a bad choice from day one, and am thrilled to see it no
> > longer required in VS2005).

> What's your source for this?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney
> "Alex Papadimoulis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Rusty,
> >
> > Although Alvin recommended Visual Studio, here's my two cents. I've

found
> > Visual Studio to be great for everything but webforms. It's HTML

handling
> > is
> > terrible and you're forced to use the Inheritance code behind model
> > (which,
> > I've thought was a bad choice from day one, and am thrilled to see it no
> > longer required in VS2005). I use Dreamweaver, and the "Code-Aside"

model
> > (<script runat=server src=myPage.aspx.vb>). You'll find VS.NET easier to
> > use, but I think you'll have a much better end product by going wih
> > something that handles HTML much better and doesn't use the Inheritance
> > code-behind.
> >
> > -- Alex Papadimoulis
> >
> > ,
> > "Rusty Owens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >> I am new to .NET. I have been doing web development using ColdFusion
> >> for 5 years. I am trying to determine if there is a standard IDE for
> >> asp.net. I have downloaded Webmatrix from Microsoft but I am
> >> wondering if it is more of a project than an accepted standard since
> >> they also have Visual Studio.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

how is that different from today when everything can fit into the aspx page.
I'm missing something i'm sure

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Code behind is no longer required; VS2005 has good support for using a
> single file for your HTML source and server code.
> Inheritance is still used in VS2005, although much of the boilerplate code
> is now hidden behind the scenes.
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> http://Steve.Orr.net

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > and you're forced to use the Inheritance code behind model (which,
>> > I've thought was a bad choice from day one, and am thrilled to see it
>> > no
>> > longer required in VS2005).

>> What's your source for this?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Alvin Bruney
>> [ASP.NET MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx]
>> Got tidbits? Get it here... http://tinyurl.com/27cok
>> "Alex Papadimoulis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Rusty,
>> >
>> > Although Alvin recommended Visual Studio, here's my two cents. I've

> found
>> > Visual Studio to be great for everything but webforms. It's HTML

> handling
>> > is
>> > terrible and you're forced to use the Inheritance code behind model
>> > (which,
>> > I've thought was a bad choice from day one, and am thrilled to see it
>> > no
>> > longer required in VS2005). I use Dreamweaver, and the "Code-Aside"

> model
>> > (<script runat=server src=myPage.aspx.vb>). You'll find VS.NET easier
>> > use, but I think you'll have a much better end product by going wih
>> > something that handles HTML much better and doesn't use the Inheritance
>> > code-behind.
>> >
>> > -- Alex Papadimoulis
>> >
>> > ,
>> > "Rusty Owens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Currently VS.NET pretty much forces you to use a code behind. If you want
to do single page, it's not easy or supported well like it is in WebMatrix.
In VS.NET 2005 this is fully supported with full intellisense.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> how is that different from today when everything can fit into the aspx

page.
> I'm missing something i'm sure
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney
> "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Code behind is no longer required; VS2005 has good support for using a
> > single file for your HTML source and server code.
> > Inheritance is still used in VS2005, although much of the boilerplate

code
> > is now hidden behind the scenes.
> >
> > --
> > I hope this helps,
> > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> > http://Steve.Orr.net
> >

> > "Alvin Bruney [MVP]" <vapor at steaming post office> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> What's your source for this?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Alvin Bruney
> >> [ASP.NET MVP http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx]
> >> Got tidbits? Get it here... http://tinyurl.com/27cok
> >> "Alex Papadimoulis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...

> > found

> > handling

> > model

Inheritance

ColdFusion

for

Matt Berther

1. Code behind has never been required.
2. Inheritance is not used for ASP.NET classes anymore, rather partial
classes, which introduces the idea of a code-beside model.

--
Matt Berther
http://www.mattberther.com

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] wrote:

> Code behind is no longer required; VS2005 has good support for using a
> single file for your HTML source and server code.
> Inheritance is still used in VS2005, although much of the boilerplate code
> is now hidden behind the scenes.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You're correct that code behind has never been required, but it is difficult
to do the single file method in VS.NET.

I believe you're wrong about inheritance not being needed in ASP.NET classes
anymore. Underneath it all, your page is still inheriting from the Page
class.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP