Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Preferred IDE

Preferred IDE

Matt Berther

Yes, you are right that it still inherits from Page. I thought your
statement was directed at the fact that your .ASPX is a subclass of your
code-behind class.

--
Matt Berther
http://www.mattberther.com

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD] wrote:
> You're correct that code behind has never been required, but it is difficult
> to do the single file method in VS.NET.
>
> I believe you're wrong about inheritance not being needed in ASP.NET classes
> anymore. Underneath it all, your page is still inheriting from the Page
> class.

Joao S Cardoso [MVP]

After all this feedback... here is my 2 cents.

I've been working with VS2002 since beta, and now I'm on VS2003. My opinion is
that while HTML editor from VS.NET is not has good as Dreamweaver for example,
the fact is that coding in VS is much better. I code mostly in vb.net and its
amazing the productivity that you get from using vs.net.

The ideal solution for me would be to have Dreamweaver as HTML editor and VS2003
for coding. But that is just too time consuming and does not worth the trouble
in my point of view.

Things said, I've got used to the limitations of the vs.net html editor and I
only use code-behind currently. Sometimes I still go to dreamweaver where I do
some HTML de design and then just copy+past the HTML into vs.net.

At the end of the day, VS.NET is not that bad. Could be much better on the HTML
side, thats true, but still its a highly productive dev enviroment.

Cumprimentos / Regards

Joao Cardoso (MVP dotNET)

Samuel Hon

Quite happy using Notepad. Its not fast, and its not particularly clever (if at all)

I do have VS, but dont use it

(E-Mail Removed) (Rusty Owens) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I am new to .NET. I have been doing web development using ColdFusion
> for 5 years. I am trying to determine if there is a standard IDE for
> asp.net. I have downloaded Webmatrix from Microsoft but I am
> wondering if it is more of a project than an accepted standard since
> they also have Visual Studio.

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

why don't you use visual studio? Don't get defensive. This is a genuine
question. I'd like to know what are the main reasons for sticking with
notepad over the benefits of studio.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
"Samuel Hon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Quite happy using Notepad. Its not fast, and its not particularly clever
> (if at all)
>
> I do have VS, but dont use it
>
> (E-Mail Removed) (Rusty Owens) wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>> I am new to .NET. I have been doing web development using ColdFusion
>> for 5 years. I am trying to determine if there is a standard IDE for
>> asp.net. I have downloaded Webmatrix from Microsoft but I am
>> wondering if it is more of a project than an accepted standard since
>> they also have Visual Studio.

Samuel Hon

Hi Alvin

I started using VS when I was learning .NET and wrote a few initial
web projects in it. I should mention that I normally use .NET for web
apps and VB6 for desktop apps.

The main reason I use Notepad is because I'm not doing project based
apps. I've built an assembly which does most of the work. Most of the
webpages are relatively simple but the few which req a built more
substance have a simple codebehind page (using src).

The main thing I miss about VS is the Intellitype. Its a pain having
to find which assembly a class belongs to eg PagedDataSource.

Sam