Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > timer functionality

timer functionality

AVL

Hi,
I'm developing an online fun game called tambola...
The requirement is as follows
Each logged user will have a ticket generated for him..
The system should display the numbers from 1 to 99 after every 10 secs....

Presently, I've used a timer control to display the numbers after every 10
secs...
The problem with the timer control is that, it's causing a postback after
every 10 secs,,, which is a hit on the server..
I want to avoid this hit on the server.. Is there any other to achieve this
functionality in .net without much load on the server

regs
avl

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You should consider using client side code such as JavaScript.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"AVL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I'm developing an online fun game called tambola...
> The requirement is as follows
> Each logged user will have a ticket generated for him..
> The system should display the numbers from 1 to 99 after every 10 secs....
>
> Presently, I've used a timer control to display the numbers after every 10
> secs...
> The problem with the timer control is that, it's causing a postback after
> every 10 secs,,, which is a hit on the server..
> I want to avoid this hit on the server.. Is there any other to achieve
> this
> functionality in .net without much load on the server
>
> regs
> avl

AVL

Can I get few samples for the same?

"Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" wrote:

> You should consider using client side code such as JavaScript.
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> http://SteveOrr.net
>

> "AVL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > I'm developing an online fun game called tambola...
> > The requirement is as follows
> > Each logged user will have a ticket generated for him..
> > The system should display the numbers from 1 to 99 after every 10 secs....
> >
> > Presently, I've used a timer control to display the numbers after every 10
> > secs...
> > The problem with the timer control is that, it's causing a postback after
> > every 10 secs,,, which is a hit on the server..
> > I want to avoid this hit on the server.. Is there any other to achieve
> > this
> > functionality in .net without much load on the server
> >
> > regs
> > avl

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Here's an example of a JavaScript timer that executes JavaScript code every
N seconds:

http://www.crowes.f9.co.uk/Javascript/timer.htm