Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Stop page going back to the top when submitting

Stop page going back to the top when submitting

Mike Owen

I have a LinkButton in the middle of a page, which is used to submit search
criteria to a piece of back end code. The results of the seach are shown
just above the button.

When the user clicks on the link button to perform a search, they are taken
back to the top of the page when the results appear, which then necessitates
a scroll back down to see the results.

Is there anything I can do to prevent the user having to scroll back down,
apart from moving the search mechanism higher up the page of course, which
would be inconvenient due to the nature of the content currently at the top?

Thanks, Mike.

Khaled Hussein

Hello Mike,
I guess you will have to handle the view state of the page.
which version of .NET are you using?

--
Khaled Hussein
Graduate Teaching Assistant

> I have a LinkButton in the middle of a page, which is used to submit
> search criteria to a piece of back end code. The results of the seach
> are shown just above the button.
>
> When the user clicks on the link button to perform a search, they are
> taken back to the top of the page when the results appear, which then
> necessitates a scroll back down to see the results.
>
> Is there anything I can do to prevent the user having to scroll back
> down, apart from moving the search mechanism higher up the page of
> course, which would be inconvenient due to the nature of the content
> currently at the top?
>
> Thanks, Mike.

Mike Owen

Hi Khalid,

I am using V 1.1, but going to 2.0 in the next couple of weeks.

How would the view state help?

Cheers, Mike.

"Khaled Hussein" wrote:

> Hello Mike,
> I guess you will have to handle the view state of the page.
> which version of .NET are you using?
>
> --
> Khaled Hussein
> Graduate Teaching Assistant
> College of Computing and Information Technology
> Arab Academy for Science and Technology and Maritime Transport
> Web Site: http://www.aast.edu
> (The power of imagination makes us infinite.)
>
> > I have a LinkButton in the middle of a page, which is used to submit
> > search criteria to a piece of back end code. The results of the seach
> > are shown just above the button.
> >
> > When the user clicks on the link button to perform a search, they are
> > taken back to the top of the page when the results appear, which then
> > necessitates a scroll back down to see the results.
> >
> > Is there anything I can do to prevent the user having to scroll back
> > down, apart from moving the search mechanism higher up the page of
> > course, which would be inconvenient due to the nature of the content
> > currently at the top?
> >
> > Thanks, Mike.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mike,

Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think we have the below options:

1. for asp.net 1.x, we can either turn on the page's smartNavigation or
manually register some clientside script and use clientside element's
"focus()" script function to se the focus. We can add such code in your
link button's click event, and register the script to set focus for your
link button.

2. in asp.net 2.0, there has provided build "SetFocus" function for ASP.NET
Page class, we can just pass the "SetFocus" function a control reference or
a control's "ClientID" (a string value), so that the output page will
contains script to set the control's client html elemetn as the focus.

You can have a try on both of them(.NET 2.0 and VS.NET 2005 has been
released ).

Hope helps. Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
| Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 06:22:04 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontro ls
|
| Hi Khalid,
|
| I am using V 1.1, but going to 2.0 in the next couple of weeks.
|
| How would the view state help?
|

| Cheers, Mike.
|
| "Khaled Hussein" wrote:
|
| > Hello Mike,
| > I guess you will have to handle the view state of the page.
| > which version of .NET are you using?
| >
| > --
| > Khaled Hussein
| > Graduate Teaching Assistant
| > College of Computing and Information Technology
| > Arab Academy for Science and Technology and Maritime Transport
| > Web Site: http://www.aast.edu
| > (The power of imagination makes us infinite.)
| >
| > > I have a LinkButton in the middle of a page, which is used to submit
| > > search criteria to a piece of back end code. The results of the seach
| > > are shown just above the button.
| > >
| > > When the user clicks on the link button to perform a search, they are
| > > taken back to the top of the page when the results appear, which then
| > > necessitates a scroll back down to see the results.
| > >
| > > Is there anything I can do to prevent the user having to scroll back
| > > down, apart from moving the search mechanism higher up the page of
| > > course, which would be inconvenient due to the nature of the content
| > > currently at the top?
| > >
| > > Thanks, Mike.

Mike Owen

Thanks Steve, I've been busy sorting other bits of the site today, but will
hopefully try the bits below tomorrow.

Do you know how they fit in with Accessibility/disability requirements of we
sites as this is of primary concern to the end user?

.....presumably this would be better handled with .Net 2.0?

Cheers, Mike.

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think we have the below options:
>
> 1. for asp.net 1.x, we can either turn on the page's smartNavigation or
> manually register some clientside script and use clientside element's
> "focus()" script function to se the focus. We can add such code in your
> link button's click event, and register the script to set focus for your
> link button.
>
> 2. in asp.net 2.0, there has provided build "SetFocus" function for ASP.NET
> Page class, we can just pass the "SetFocus" function a control reference or
> a control's "ClientID" (a string value), so that the output page will
> contains script to set the control's client html elemetn as the focus.
>
> You can have a try on both of them(.NET 2.0 and VS.NET 2005 has been
> released ).
>
> Hope helps. Thanks,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)
> --------------------
> | From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
> | Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 06:22:04 -0800
> | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontro ls
> |
> | Hi Khalid,
> |
> | I am using V 1.1, but going to 2.0 in the next couple of weeks.
> |
> | How would the view state help?
> |

> | Cheers, Mike.
> |
> | "Khaled Hussein" wrote:
> |
> | > Hello Mike,
> | > I guess you will have to handle the view state of the page.
> | > which version of .NET are you using?
> | >
> | > --
> | > Khaled Hussein
> | > Graduate Teaching Assistant
> | > College of Computing and Information Technology
> | > Arab Academy for Science and Technology and Maritime Transport
> | > Web Site: http://www.aast.edu
> | > (The power of imagination makes us infinite.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Mike,

As for Accessibility/disability consideration, I think you can prefer the
registering clientside script approach, (we can format the script section
so as to meet those certain accessibility requirement.). For
smartNavigation, it may injectes some browser specific contents which may
somewhat hurt the accessibility.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
| Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:36:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontro ls
|
| Thanks Steve, I've been busy sorting other bits of the site today, but
will
| hopefully try the bits below tomorrow.
|
| Do you know how they fit in with Accessibility/disability requirements of
we
| sites as this is of primary concern to the end user?
|
| ....presumably this would be better handled with .Net 2.0?
|

| Cheers, Mike.
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Mike,
| >
| > Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think we have the below
| >
| > 1. for asp.net 1.x, we can either turn on the page's smartNavigation or
| > manually register some clientside script and use clientside element's
| > "focus()" script function to se the focus. We can add such code in your
| > link button's click event, and register the script to set focus for
your
| > link button.
| >
| > 2. in asp.net 2.0, there has provided build "SetFocus" function for
ASP.NET
| > Page class, we can just pass the "SetFocus" function a control
reference or
| > a control's "ClientID" (a string value), so that the output page will
| > contains script to set the control's client html elemetn as the focus.
| >
| > You can have a try on both of them(.NET 2.0 and VS.NET 2005 has been
| > released ).
| >
| > Hope helps. Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
| > | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
| > | Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 06:22:04 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontro ls
| > |
| > | Hi Khalid,
| > |
| > | I am using V 1.1, but going to 2.0 in the next couple of weeks.
| > |
| > | How would the view state help?
| > |
| > |
| > | Cheers, Mike.
| > |
| > | "Khaled Hussein" wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Mike,

Have you got any further progress on this? If there're anything else we can
help, please feel free to post here.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 02:17:08 GMT
| Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontro ls
|
| Thanks for your response Mike,
|
| As for Accessibility/disability consideration, I think you can prefer
the
| registering clientside script approach, (we can format the script section
| so as to meet those certain accessibility requirement.). For
| smartNavigation, it may injectes some browser specific contents which may
| somewhat hurt the accessibility.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
| | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
| | Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:36:02 -0800
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontro ls
| |
| | Thanks Steve, I've been busy sorting other bits of the site today, but
| will
| | hopefully try the bits below tomorrow.
| |
| | Do you know how they fit in with Accessibility/disability requirements
of
| we
| | sites as this is of primary concern to the end user?
| |
| | ....presumably this would be better handled with .Net 2.0?
| |
| |
| | Cheers, Mike.
| |
| | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
| |
| | > Hi Mike,
| | >
| | > Regarding on the question you mentioned, I think we have the below
| | >
| | > 1. for asp.net 1.x, we can either turn on the page's smartNavigation
or
| | > manually register some clientside script and use clientside element's

| | > "focus()" script function to se the focus. We can add such code in
your
| | > link button's click event, and register the script to set focus for
| your
| | > link button.
| | >
| | > 2. in asp.net 2.0, there has provided build "SetFocus" function for
| ASP.NET
| | > Page class, we can just pass the "SetFocus" function a control
| reference or
| | > a control's "ClientID" (a string value), so that the output page
will
| | > contains script to set the control's client html elemetn as the
focus.

| | > You can have a try on both of them(.NET 2.0 and VS.NET 2005 has been
| | > released ).
| | >
| | > Hope helps. Thanks,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.)
| | > --------------------
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| submit
| seach

| are
| then

| back
| content

| | > |

| |

Mike Owen

Steve,

Thanks again for the response.

In the short term, I have used the SmartNavigation approach.

I may well come back to you soon when I upgrade the site to ASP.Net 2.0

Cheers, Mike.

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
> | rights.)
> |

> | --------------------
> | | From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
> | | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
> | | Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 13:36:02 -0800
> | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontro ls
> | |
> | | Thanks Steve, I've been busy sorting other bits of the site today, but
> | will
> | | hopefully try the bits below tomorrow.
> | |
> | | Do you know how they fit in with Accessibility/disability requirements
> of
> | we
> | | sites as this is of primary concern to the end user?
> | |
> | | ....presumably this would be better handled with .Net 2.0?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for the followup Mike,

OK. Please feel free to post here when you need our assistance.

Good luck!

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBPd2Vu?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
| Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 09:12:05 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontro ls
|
| Steve,
|
| Thanks again for the response.
|
| In the short term, I have used the SmartNavigation approach.
|
| I may well come back to you soon when I upgrade the site to ASP.Net 2.0
|

| Cheers, Mike.
|
| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Mike,
| >
| > Have you got any further progress on this? If there're anything else we
can
| > help, please feel free to post here.
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| > --------------------
| > | From: (E-Mail Removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| > | Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 02:17:08 GMT
| > | Subject: Re: Stop page going back to the top when submitting
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontro ls
| > |
| > | Thanks for your response Mike,
| > |
| > | As for Accessibility/disability consideration, I think you can
prefer
| > the
| > | registering clientside script approach, (we can format the script
section
| > | so as to meet those certain accessibility requirement.). For
| > | smartNavigation, it may injectes some browser specific contents which
may
| > | somewhat hurt the accessibility.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > |