Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Is someone willing to help me with a simple VB example?

Is someone willing to help me with a simple VB example?

Edwin Knoppert

I seen a lot of examples but it doesn't work out since they are in c.

In VWD i want to prepare a usercontrol.
At this time i use a usercontrol and place a textbox upon it.
Not handy, i lose all direct properties, only with wrappers i can reach them
again.
I seen examples (in c) using some kind of ordinary class which wraps a
control to a new classname, ideal!
However i can't seem to make it work.
Could some please write me a downloadable example (complete project zipped
or so) with the following aspects please? :

Textbox new class MyNewTextbox
Property NewValue (get and set)
Evt. to use from the toolbox.
Assuming all existing properties and events are still available in the IDE,
iow i simply want to extend the textbox control.
All in Visual Basic mode, not c

I think i can manage it from there

Thanks!!
Edwin,

Patrice

Try :
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickst...bpagelets.aspx
http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickst...authoring.aspx

Not sure but IMO it would be best to start by yourself and to ask specific
questions one by one rather than asking someone else to build a sample that
could be not what you wanted...

For now I'm not sure if you want to create a user control or if you want to
create a new control that inherits from an existing control...

Patrice

--

"Edwin Knoppert" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:42b042b1$0$17212$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I seen a lot of examples but it doesn't work out since they are in c.
>
> In VWD i want to prepare a usercontrol.
> At this time i use a usercontrol and place a textbox upon it.
> Not handy, i lose all direct properties, only with wrappers i can reach

them
> again.
> I seen examples (in c) using some kind of ordinary class which wraps a
> control to a new classname, ideal!
> However i can't seem to make it work.
> Could some please write me a downloadable example (complete project zipped
> or so) with the following aspects please? :
>
> Textbox new class MyNewTextbox
> Property NewValue (get and set)
> Evt. to use from the toolbox.
> Assuming all existing properties and events are still available in the

IDE,
> iow i simply want to extend the textbox control.
> All in Visual Basic mode, not c
>
> I think i can manage it from there
>
> Thanks!!
> Edwin,

Edwin Knoppert

I'll check but indeed inherit would be the best.
A UC is rather poor, pasting the refer in each aspx and so.
Also the properties is unhandy.
I just need to extend a textbox therefore inherit seems the best option to
me.

"Patrice" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try :
> http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickst...bpagelets.aspx
> http://samples.gotdotnet.com/quickst...authoring.aspx
>
> Not sure but IMO it would be best to start by yourself and to ask specific
> questions one by one rather than asking someone else to build a sample
> that
> could be not what you wanted...
>
> For now I'm not sure if you want to create a user control or if you want
> create a new control that inherits from an existing control...
>
> Patrice
>
> --
>
> "Edwin Knoppert" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
> news:42b042b1$0$17212$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> I seen a lot of examples but it doesn't work out since they are in c.
>>
>> In VWD i want to prepare a usercontrol.
>> At this time i use a usercontrol and place a textbox upon it.
>> Not handy, i lose all direct properties, only with wrappers i can reach

> them
>> again.
>> I seen examples (in c) using some kind of ordinary class which wraps a
>> control to a new classname, ideal!
>> However i can't seem to make it work.
>> Could some please write me a downloadable example (complete project
>> zipped
>> or so) with the following aspects please? :
>>
>> Textbox new class MyNewTextbox
>> Property NewValue (get and set)
>> Evt. to use from the toolbox.
>> Assuming all existing properties and events are still available in the

> IDE,
>> iow i simply want to extend the textbox control.
>> All in Visual Basic mode, not c
>>
>> I think i can manage it from there
>>
>> Thanks!!
>> Edwin,

Harolds

<ToolboxData("<{0}:TextBox runat=server></{0}:TextBox>")> Public Class
TextBox : Inherits WebControls.TextBox
Private _AllowEdit As Boolean = True

<Category("TRC"), DefaultValue(True)> Public Property AllowEdit() As Boolean
Get
Return _AllowEdit
End Get
Set(ByVal Value As Boolean)
_AllowEdit = Value
End Set
End Property

"Edwin Knoppert" wrote:

> I seen a lot of examples but it doesn't work out since they are in c.
>
> In VWD i want to prepare a usercontrol.
> At this time i use a usercontrol and place a textbox upon it.
> Not handy, i lose all direct properties, only with wrappers i can reach them
> again.
> I seen examples (in c) using some kind of ordinary class which wraps a
> control to a new classname, ideal!
> However i can't seem to make it work.
> Could some please write me a downloadable example (complete project zipped
> or so) with the following aspects please? :
>
> Textbox new class MyNewTextbox
> Property NewValue (get and set)
> Evt. to use from the toolbox.
> Assuming all existing properties and events are still available in the IDE,
> iow i simply want to extend the textbox control.
> All in Visual Basic mode, not c
>
> I think i can manage it from there
>
> Thanks!!
> Edwin,

Edwin Knoppert

I have seen such code but never understood how to deal with that.
Save it as a specific filetype?
I really don't know.

I'm using VWB 2005 beta2

Thanks,

"Harolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> <ToolboxData("<{0}:TextBox runat=server></{0}:TextBox>")> Public Class
> TextBox : Inherits WebControls.TextBox
> Private _AllowEdit As Boolean = True
>
> <Category("TRC"), DefaultValue(True)> Public Property AllowEdit() As
> Boolean
> Get
> Return _AllowEdit
> End Get
> Set(ByVal Value As Boolean)
> _AllowEdit = Value
> End Set
> End Property
>

> "Edwin Knoppert" wrote:
>
>> I seen a lot of examples but it doesn't work out since they are in c.
>>
>> In VWD i want to prepare a usercontrol.
>> At this time i use a usercontrol and place a textbox upon it.
>> Not handy, i lose all direct properties, only with wrappers i can reach
>> them
>> again.
>> I seen examples (in c) using some kind of ordinary class which wraps a
>> control to a new classname, ideal!
>> However i can't seem to make it work.
>> Could some please write me a downloadable example (complete project
>> zipped
>> or so) with the following aspects please? :
>>
>> Textbox new class MyNewTextbox
>> Property NewValue (get and set)
>> Evt. to use from the toolbox.
>> Assuming all existing properties and events are still available in the
>> IDE,
>> iow i simply want to extend the textbox control.
>> All in Visual Basic mode, not c
>>
>> I think i can manage it from there
>>
>> Thanks!!
>> Edwin,

Harolds

Add a class to your project.
replace the Public Class line with what I posted.

"Edwin Knoppert" wrote:

> I have seen such code but never understood how to deal with that.
> Save it as a specific filetype?
> I really don't know.
>
> I'm using VWB 2005 beta2
>
> Thanks,
>
> "Harolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > <ToolboxData("<{0}:TextBox runat=server></{0}:TextBox>")> Public Class
> > TextBox : Inherits WebControls.TextBox
> > Private _AllowEdit As Boolean = True
> >
> > <Category("TRC"), DefaultValue(True)> Public Property AllowEdit() As
> > Boolean
> > Get
> > Return _AllowEdit
> > End Get
> > Set(ByVal Value As Boolean)
> > _AllowEdit = Value
> > End Set
> > End Property
> >

> > "Edwin Knoppert" wrote:
> >
> >> I seen a lot of examples but it doesn't work out since they are in c.
> >>
> >> In VWD i want to prepare a usercontrol.
> >> At this time i use a usercontrol and place a textbox upon it.
> >> Not handy, i lose all direct properties, only with wrappers i can reach
> >> them
> >> again.
> >> I seen examples (in c) using some kind of ordinary class which wraps a
> >> control to a new classname, ideal!
> >> However i can't seem to make it work.
> >> Could some please write me a downloadable example (complete project
> >> zipped
> >> or so) with the following aspects please? :
> >>
> >> Textbox new class MyNewTextbox
> >> Property NewValue (get and set)
> >> Evt. to use from the toolbox.
> >> Assuming all existing properties and events are still available in the
> >> IDE,
> >> iow i simply want to extend the textbox control.
> >> All in Visual Basic mode, not c
> >>
> >> I think i can manage it from there
> >>
> >> Thanks!!
> >> Edwin,

Harolds

Actually you need to create a new project, and a class, put in the code I
posted, build that project, add/remove items to your toolbox, select the dll
that was created when you built the new project.

"Edwin Knoppert" wrote:

> I have seen such code but never understood how to deal with that.
> Save it as a specific filetype?
> I really don't know.
>
> I'm using VWB 2005 beta2
>
> Thanks,
>
> "Harolds" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > <ToolboxData("<{0}:TextBox runat=server></{0}:TextBox>")> Public Class
> > TextBox : Inherits WebControls.TextBox
> > Private _AllowEdit As Boolean = True
> >
> > <Category("TRC"), DefaultValue(True)> Public Property AllowEdit() As
> > Boolean
> > Get
> > Return _AllowEdit
> > End Get
> > Set(ByVal Value As Boolean)
> > _AllowEdit = Value
> > End Set
> > End Property
> >

> > "Edwin Knoppert" wrote:
> >
> >> I seen a lot of examples but it doesn't work out since they are in c.
> >>
> >> In VWD i want to prepare a usercontrol.
> >> At this time i use a usercontrol and place a textbox upon it.
> >> Not handy, i lose all direct properties, only with wrappers i can reach
> >> them
> >> again.
> >> I seen examples (in c) using some kind of ordinary class which wraps a
> >> control to a new classname, ideal!
> >> However i can't seem to make it work.
> >> Could some please write me a downloadable example (complete project
> >> zipped
> >> or so) with the following aspects please? :
> >>
> >> Textbox new class MyNewTextbox
> >> Property NewValue (get and set)
> >> Evt. to use from the toolbox.
> >> Assuming all existing properties and events are still available in the
> >> IDE,
> >> iow i simply want to extend the textbox control.
> >> All in Visual Basic mode, not c
> >>
> >> I think i can manage it from there
> >>
> >> Thanks!!
> >> Edwin,

Edwin Knoppert

So far the suggestions didn't help, hey it's beta 2 2005, examples are or in
c or older version.
Comon, help me out for this version with a working VB example for a simple
textbox + extra properties ok?
Uncompiled control, like a usercontrol, i don't care if it's in the toolbox
or not.

"Edwin Knoppert" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht