Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Using html controls or asp controls

Using html controls or asp controls

UJ

If I have a total choice, should I use html controls (like a select list) or
use the same type of thing in ASP (asp:dropdownlistbox).

I guess what I'm asking is if I don't need all the extra stuff the asp
objects bring along, is using the html stuff reasonable? Will it be
faster/less memory ? Or is it about the same.

TIA - Jeffrey

Brock Allen

In general the server side controls all perform the same -- meaning using
<input type=text runat=server> is the same as <asp:TextBox>. For me, I prefer
the <asp:Xyx> WebControls as they tend to provide a richer, higher level
and more consistent API. They provide a greater abstraction. The situation
when I'd choose a HtmlControl is if either I don't need a server event to
fire, but I do want to work with it programmitically (as a control object)
or if I want lower level control over the rendering. And even for the lower
level control of the rendering, most of what you'd want to do can be accomplished
with WebControls.

-Brock
DevelopMentor
http://staff.develop.com/ballen