Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Invalid IP Address Problem

Invalid IP Address Problem

=?Utf-8?B?bWpzcm9zcw==?=

Running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2 and have had no problems with my home
wireless network until today. All of a sudden, it won't connect -- it's stuck
in "Acquiring Network Address" mode and under "Address Type" it says "Invalid
IP Address".

Tried restarting router, computer, etc. Wireless works fine with the two
other laptops in the house, just not this one.

Am not particularly computer tech savvy... what do I do?

-tony

Jerry Peterson[MSFT]

This error message means that you did not recieve an IP Address from your
DHCP server after establishing a wireless connection. This is usually
caused by a communication failure between the wireless card and the access
point. Often that means the security settings do not match between the
client and the access point.

Did you recently change any element of your network? Did you load a new
driver or firmware? Perhaps installed a new wireless card? Maybe you
changed the security settings on your wireless access point?

--
Jerry Peterson
Windows Network Services - Wireless

"mjsross" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2 and have had no problems with my
> home
> wireless network until today. All of a sudden, it won't connect -- it's
> stuck
> in "Acquiring Network Address" mode and under "Address Type" it says
> "Invalid
> IP Address".
>
> Tried restarting router, computer, etc. Wireless works fine with the two
> other laptops in the house, just not this one.
>
> Am not particularly computer tech savvy... what do I do?
>
> -tony

=?Utf-8?B?U3R5bGVzNjE=?=

You may have also enabled MAC address filtering on your access point or
router. Check the address for your wireless card (ipconfig /all from a
command prompt), note the physical address shown, the go into the AP or
router administrative console and check to make sure the addresses match
IDENTICALLY.

Just another place to look for a solution.

Shaun.