Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Programmatically Rotate Datagrid Rows

Programmatically Rotate Datagrid Rows

Jay

I'm wondering if anyone has even encountered a control or other scripting
that will automatically rotate the rows of a datagrid... I am in the process
of building an asp.net application that will display statistics on a large
LCD display for viewing by people within the room (30 feet away). One
problem is that the screen can obviously only display so much legible data
at a time. I may have upwards of 60 or 70 rows to display on a rotating
basis. I need to programmatically display only about 10 or so at a time.
What I have attempted to do simply use a <marquee direction=up> tag around a
datagrid, however, I do not want the datagrid header to move. I have also
tried setting showheader=false in the datagrid and creating my own header,
however, I can never get the column widths to line up properly (even when
forcing widths). Ideally I would like the header to remain locked in place
and have x number of rotating rows from the data bound grid displayed every
x number of seconds (or minute(s)). Have you ever seen such functionality?
The content scroller control at
http://www.telerik.com/r.a.d.rotator...ontentScroller
looks like it may do something very similar to what I need to accomplish (I
would need a locked header and fixed width datagrid columns though). Any
ideas?

Have you thought of a data repeater? I found an example of custom server
control that repeats for each row in a dataset. This way your display
could
be organized in a readable manner. It works great and does account for
alternating rows. I have an example control and application if you need.

Best Regards,

"Jay" <msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm wondering if anyone has even encountered a control or other

scripting
> that will automatically rotate the rows of a datagrid... I am in the
> process of building an asp.net application that will display statistics

on
> a large LCD display for viewing by people within the room (30 feet

away).
> One problem is that the screen can obviously only display so much

legible
> data at a time. I may have upwards of 60 or 70 rows to display on a
> rotating basis. I need to programmatically display only about 10 or so

at
> a time. What I have attempted to do simply use a <marquee direction=up>
> tag around a datagrid, however, I do not want the datagrid header to

move.
> I have also tried setting showheader=false in the datagrid and creating

my
> own header, however, I can never get the column widths to line up

properly
> (even when forcing widths). Ideally I would like the header to remain
> locked in place and have x number of rotating rows from the data bound
> grid displayed every x number of seconds (or minute(s)). Have you ever
> seen such functionality? The content scroller control at

http://www.telerik.com/r.a.d.rotator...es&Example=Des
ign/ContentScroller
> looks like it may do something very similar to what I need to accomplish
> (I would need a locked header and fixed width datagrid columns though).
> Any ideas?

It has removed 3307 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!