Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Weird "defined in multiple places" error

Weird "defined in multiple places" error

Staffan Eketorp

Ok...I get the "classical" error:

CS1595: '_ASP.A_ascx' is defined in multiple places; using definition from
'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temp orary ASP.NET
Files\root\2b5cf18c\86b61b77\isblapsv.dll'

Ok...but what renders this error?

<%@ Register TagPrefix=Hello TagName=A Src=A.ascx %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix=Hello TagName=B Src=../BDir/B.ascx %>
<Hello:B runat=server />
<Hello:A runat=server />

Remove line 1 and 4 - works fine! Remove line 2 and 3 - works fine! Run on
another computer - works fine. Any rights issues? ...you know the /nostdlib
compiler option - nope! How about a iis reset, remove all temporary ASP.NET
files, rebooting the whole goddamn (sense no agression whatsoever) computer?
Nope! "Final" workaround for me: Create a copy of A.ascx: A2.ascx, and
change the source attribute for the registering of Hello:A to A2.ascx.

Why???????

Roger Helliwell

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:24:04 -0700 in
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontro ls, Staffan Eketorp
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Remove line 1 and 4 - works fine! Remove line 2 and 3 - works fine! Run on
>another computer - works fine. Any rights issues? ...you know the /nostdlib
>compiler option - nope! How about a iis reset, remove all temporary ASP.NET
>files, rebooting the whole goddamn (sense no agression whatsoever) computer?
>Nope! "Final" workaround for me: Create a copy of A.ascx: A2.ascx, and
>change the source attribute for the registering of Hello:A to A2.ascx.
>
>Why???????

I've had the same problem -- very frustrating. One thing I do that
seems to work is to open each .ascx file, make a minor change (such as
adding a space then deleting it), then re-save each file and do a
"Build Page". This seems to flush all temporary files and 9 times out
of 10, the error disappears.

Hope this works for you
Roger

P.S. I've been using beta 2 for a few days now, and so far the
"defined in multiple places" error hasn't occurred.

Staffan Eketorp

Thanks for the reply. I suspect I'll have to go for Beta 2 then =). Seriously
this crap is just happening on our production server, i.e. not on any test
machine of mine, which somewhat limits my ability to play around. I've tried
to change the file slightly to force a recompile (and a file flush) without
luck, but I can't really do some "Build Page" thing. I HAVE made minor
changes to the codebehind files and put a replacement dll in the /bin folder
- also without any luck.