Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Datalist multiple edit modes for edititemtemplate

Datalist multiple edit modes for edititemtemplate

Steve P

Hi,
I want to have 2 ways of editing my datalist results:
1) regular edit (i.e. the literal text is replaces with a textbox when
"Inline Edit" is clicked
2) full edit: the fields are displayed in a form layout that is more
readable when "Full Edit" is clicked

I have edititemtemplates for both, however, only one is allowed to be used
per datalist. Also I have extracttemplaterows=true in the datalist in order
to make it easy to format the datalist table. A method I tried was to place
2 tables within the edititemtemplate (one for each edit mode), and then in
the itemdatabound event I would set the appropriate table's visibility based
on the button clicked. This did not work because all properties of the table
within the edititemtemplate are discarded on databinding when
extracttemplaterows=true for the datalist. Is there a way (other than
setting extracttemplaterows=false) to have multiple edit modes in the way I
describe? (I know that I could basically "misuse" the selecteditemtemplate
and make it the second editmode instead, but the problem there is that I also
want a separate selecteditemtemplate. Your help is appreciated!

Thank you
Steve