Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > The TabStrip Control and Internet Explorer WebControls

The TabStrip Control and Internet Explorer WebControls

Jason Madison

I want to create a tab strip within asp.net. There are a number of useful
MSDN articles on this and similar controls such as a tree view control -
example URL is:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...w/tabstrip.asp

However these all refer to getting the Internet Explorer WebControls
component, which is detailed at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/w.../formsetup.asp

This in turn says download the Internet Explorer WebControl component at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/...ls/default.asp

However if you click on this link you get a 404 page not found.

I have finally found the download link at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/en...ls/default.asp

But this page has lots of red warnings all over it saying the Internet
Explorer WebControls are no longer supported.

So what should I do? The MSDN articles look really useful, but it seems they
are out of date. Should I go ahead and get this download or is there now
something better to use?

Jason Madison

Thanks - I've now downloaded the IEWebControls.exe file and tried to install
them, but I have a problem.

The readme.txt file says:

2. Run Build.bat, which will create a build folder in this directory.
The build folder contains Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll and a
Runtime directory of supporting files.

For some reason my build folder contains the runtime directory but no
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll.

Looking in the build.bat file I see it contains the line:

csc.exe /out:build\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll @IEWebControls.rsp

If I go to the C:\Program Files\IE Web Controls folder and try running
csc.exe I get a 'csc.exe is not recognised as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file' message.

Any ideas?

"Alvin Bruney [ASP.NET MVP]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
news:ex1Yp$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Read the warning, determine if your environment falls outside of these
> restrictions and program with confidence. There is lots of help available
> in case you run into problems. I've been using these controls for sometime
> now in a production environment with no problems whatsoever.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney
> [Shameless Author Plug]
> available at www.lulu.com/owc
> _________________________
>

> "Jason Madison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I want to create a tab strip within asp.net. There are a number of useful
>>MSDN articles on this and similar controls such as a tree view control -
>>example URL is:
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...w/tabstrip.asp
>>
>> However these all refer to getting the Internet Explorer WebControls
>> component, which is detailed at:
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/w.../formsetup.asp
>>
>> This in turn says download the Internet Explorer WebControl component at:
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/...ls/default.asp
>>
>> However if you click on this link you get a 404 page not found.
>>
>> I have finally found the download link at:
>>
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/en...ls/default.asp
>>
>> But this page has lots of red warnings all over it saying the Internet
>> Explorer WebControls are no longer supported.
>>
>> So what should I do? The MSDN articles look really useful, but it seems
>> they are out of date. Should I go ahead and get this download or is there
>> now something better to use?

Jason Madison

I modified the build.bat file to reference the csc.exe file in my .net
folder:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\csc.e xe
/out:build\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll @IEWebControls.rsp

However it gives this message:

'System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform.Transform(System.Xml. XPath.XPathNavigator,System.Xml.Xsl,XsltArgumentLi st,System.IO.Stream)'
is obsolete: You should pass XmlResolver to Transform() method'

It has now build the .dll but should I make the recommended code change, and
if so exactly what should the change be?