Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Setting Focus in User Control

Setting Focus in User Control

jdp

I have an editable datagrid as part of a usercontrol. When I click the Edit
button, I wish for focus to be set on the first control, a dropdownlist. I
have underlying javascript that I found elsewhere here but it does not appear
to work.

<script language="javascript">
<!--
frm.myComponents_dgdEdit__ctl2_txtBox.focus();
frm.myComponents_dgdEdit__ctl2_txtBox.select();
//-->
</script>

"myComponents_dgdEdit__ctl2_txtBox" is retrieved by FindControl and using
the ClientID property.

I placed this code in a string variable, strScript, and then performed
CType(sender, DataGrid).Parent.Page.RegisterStartupScript("focus ", strScript).
all within the 'OnItemComand' sub that is defined for the grid.

I have also tried
document.getElementById('myComponents_dgdEdit__ctl 2_txtBox').focus();
to no avail. What I found equally as puzzling is that while the focus was
not set, the data in the textbox was selected telling me the .select() worked.

If someone could point me in the right direction or tell me what I'm doing
wrong, I'd appreciate it!

Any feedback would be appreciated.

jason.pileski@pacourts.us

I solved my own problem. The page itself has smartnavigation turned
on. This doesn't generate the id and name attributes that the
javascript uses to set the focus.