Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Web.config File Problem

Web.config File Problem

Malik Asif Joyia

Hello
I want to implement the forms based authentication. for a sub directory in my webapplication.
I have allready applied Forms based authentication in my webapplication ,,
I have added a folder in my webapplication for the admin side of the webside and want to implement forms based authentication. so that admin users can be checked for security. i added a web.config file. but when i add the code below

<authorization>

<deny users="?" />

</authorization>

<authentication mode="Forms">

<forms name=".ASPXAUTH" protection="All" timeout="60" loginUrl="login_form.aspx" />

</authentication>

It Gives me error in the webconfig file .

/************************************************** **************
Server Error in '/GPM' Application.

Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 5: <deny users="?" />
Line 6: </authorization>
Line 7: <authentication mode="Forms">
Line 8: <forms name=".ASPXAUTH" protection="All" timeout="60" loginUrl="login.aspx" />
Line 9: </authentication>

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\GPM\User_Module\web.config Line: 7

Version Information: Microsoft NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

how can i correct it

Thanks

Software Developer
Chemmed Corporation USA

avnrao

has the virtual directory been configured as an application in IIS?

Av.
"Malik Asif Joyia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:u100a$(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

(E-Mail Removed)