Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > using javascript in User controls to access server controls of the user control

using javascript in User controls to access server controls of the user control

Faizan Ahmed

Hello all,
I have an asp.net textbox (named txtHidden) and an HtmlButton(named
btnAction). I wanted to write a javascript function which will get called
when the btnAction is clicked. The function is as follows

function HideText()
{
document.all.item("txtHidden").style.visibility = "hidden";
}

This function works fine when i run it in an asp.net page.
The problem is that it doesn't work inside a user control. i.e. lets say i
place the two controls and the javascript to work on them, in a user
control(say MyUC), then the statement document.all.item("txtHidden") does
not return anything.

After a bit of effort i've been able to identify that when a user control is
placed on a page, asp.net, while rendering the page appends all the child
control of a user control with the client id of the user control to avoid
naming conflicts. So after the page is rendered the id of "txtHidden" is
changed to "myUC1_txtHidden".
Since at the design time of UC we dont know the ClientID of the user
controls, therefore this makes it impossble to write javascripts in a user
control, which is exactly what i want to do.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Faizan Ahmed

John Saunders

"Faizan Ahmed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OG%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
> I have an asp.net textbox (named txtHidden) and an HtmlButton(named
> btnAction). I wanted to write a javascript function which will get called
> when the btnAction is clicked. The function is as follows

> Since at the design time of UC we dont know the ClientID of the user
> controls, therefore this makes it impossble to write javascripts in a user
> control, which is exactly what i want to do.

Why do you need access to the ClientID at design time? You only need it at
run-time.

At run-time (perhaps in the PreRender event), you can create and set the
JavaScript:

string script = string.Format("HideText('{0}');", txtHidden.ClientID);
btnAction.Attributes("onclick") = script;

I'd change HideText as follows:

function HideText(string textBoxID)
{
document.all.item(textBoxID).style.visibility = "hidden";
}

John Saunders