Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > asp button on popup is opening new browser window...?

asp button on popup is opening new browser window...?

Tim Reynolds

I am new to ASP & javascript so my hunch is I have set this up wrong but
can't determine where. On one popup screen, I popup another using this java
code:
var win = window.showModalDialog(url, "Testing Modal Dialog",
'dialogHeight:300px;dialogwidth:658px;resizable=no ;help:no;edge:raised;status:no;scroll:yes;center:y es');
On this new popup, i have an ASP button runat=server. I have an event
handler set up to handle a click on this button. However, when this button
is clicked, it seems an init (or oninit) event is fired, becuase immedidately
(before it even gets to my code behind for the click, it opens a new browser
sesssion using the URL of my current popup. SO I have my popup with the data
and the new browser session open with the same data. After it goes through
the OnInit(EventArgs e) method and the page_load, it then executes my code
behind.

What am I missing here? I don't want my click on this ASP server button to
open a new browser but somehow some event is fired that does this. I even
removed my code behind and also walked thru in debug. The new instance of
the browser is opened on my desktop before the code even gets to teh OnInit
method - which is before the page_load. Why does clicking on an ASP button
on a popup cause an event to fire that instansiates a browser window? How
can I avoid this so when I click it only does what I code in the code behind?
Help needed.

Thanks,
Tim Reynolds
Verizon