Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Suggestions for hierarchical display of data

Suggestions for hierarchical display of data

Rodrigo S. Novelli

Hi,

I am working in a project which I need to display hierarchical data. In a
nutshel, I have a task list and each task may have sub tasks, which may have
sub tasks, and so on. The DataGrid doesn't provide support for hierarchical
data, so I am looking for solutions. I have tried the DataGrid from
ComponentOne, but it didn't work the way I want. The view I wish for the
tasks is something like this:

Task Name Resource Progress ...
+ First task John 80%
- Second task Mary 85%
+ First sub task Mike 0%
- Second sub task Carl 10%
Another sub sub task Pam 50% ...

Does anyone knows some component, or has any solutions or tip?

Thanks in advance,
Rodrigo S. Novelli

Calvin Luttrell/ProjectThunder.com

Rodrigo ,

Do it in a winform. But you can use controls from infragistics or another third-party. If you are real hard core you can create a user control and add a table object and create tables structures for it.

-Calvin Luttrell
ProjectThuner.com

> I am working in a project which I need to display hierarchical data. In a
> nutshel, I have a task list and each task may have sub tasks, which may have
> sub tasks, and so on. The DataGrid doesn't provide support for hierarchical
> data, so I am looking for solutions. I have tried the DataGrid from
> ComponentOne, but it didn't work the way I want. The view I wish for the
> tasks is something like this:

Robert Koritnik

Why don't you use IEWebControl TreeView which is intended to be used for
hierarchical display of data. And is well customizable. I used it already
and it works great. If you'll need to display A LOT of information in it,
you'll probably have to change its JS script file to speed it up. I don't
know what to change, but I know that there was a project where one of out
developers changed the JS file to speed/optimize things up.

Worked perfectly.

Check the net. It's free and it's a microsoft product.

--
RobertK
{ Clever? No just smart. }

"Rodrigo S. Novelli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi,
>
> I am working in a project which I need to display hierarchical data. In a
> nutshel, I have a task list and each task may have sub tasks, which may

have
> sub tasks, and so on. The DataGrid doesn't provide support for

hierarchical
> data, so I am looking for solutions. I have tried the DataGrid from
> ComponentOne, but it didn't work the way I want. The view I wish for the
> tasks is something like this:
>

> Task Name Resource Progress ...
> + First task John 80%
> - Second task Mary 85%
> + First sub task Mike 0%
> - Second sub task Carl 10%
> Another sub sub task Pam 50% ...
>

> Does anyone knows some component, or has any solutions or tip?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rodrigo S. Novelli
> (E-Mail Removed)

Rodrigo S. Novelli

I cant use WinForms because its a web project.
I am trying the UltraWebGrid from Infragistics, it seems to be good for hierarchical data, but its not working fine, I think it has serious bugs. For instance, if I set the AutoGenerateCollumns to false and define the columns myself, doesnt matters if my dataset contains or not any data, the grid always shows the message: "No data to display".
And with hierarchical data, I tried a simple sample and when I run it I get a "JIT Error".
Besides these errors, the UltraWebGrid is the best grid component I have tried until now. I will keep serching, since it is not exactly what I want.

Anyway, thanks for your reply!

Regards,

Rodrigo S. Novelli
(E-Mail Removed)

"Calvin Luttrell/ProjectThunder.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Rodrigo ,

Do it in a winform. But you can use controls from infragistics or another third-party. If you are real hard core you can create a user control and add a table object and create tables structures for it.

-Calvin Luttrell
ProjectThuner.com

> I am working in a project which I need to display hierarchical data. In a
> nutshel, I have a task list and each task may have sub tasks, which may have
> sub tasks, and so on. The DataGrid doesn't provide support for hierarchical
> data, so I am looking for solutions. I have tried the DataGrid from
> ComponentOne, but it didn't work the way I want. The view I wish for the
> tasks is something like this:

Rodrigo S. Novelli

Hi Robert,

I am using IE Web Controls TreeView component in another project but it
doesn't seems to work like a grid, I mean, the Tree View component doesn't
work with columns, doesn't it?

Can I have columns of data in a tree view node? Like a ListView?
If so, please send me some sample or links for more informations about this.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,

Rodrigo S. Novelli
(E-Mail Removed)

"Robert Koritnik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Why don't you use IEWebControl TreeView which is intended to be used for
> hierarchical display of data. And is well customizable. I used it already
> and it works great. If you'll need to display A LOT of information in it,
> you'll probably have to change its JS script file to speed it up. I don't
> know what to change, but I know that there was a project where one of out
> developers changed the JS file to speed/optimize things up.
>
> Worked perfectly.
>
> Check the net. It's free and it's a microsoft product.
>
> --
> RobertK
> { Clever? No just smart. }
>

> "Rodrigo S. Novelli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working in a project which I need to display hierarchical data. In

> > nutshel, I have a task list and each task may have sub tasks, which may

> have
> > sub tasks, and so on. The DataGrid doesn't provide support for

> hierarchical
> > data, so I am looking for solutions. I have tried the DataGrid from
> > ComponentOne, but it didn't work the way I want. The view I wish for the
> > tasks is something like this:
> >

> > Task Name Resource Progress

> > + First task John 80%
> > - Second task Mary 85%
> > + First sub task Mike 0%
> > - Second sub task Carl 10%
> > Another sub sub task Pam 50%

> > Does anyone knows some component, or has any solutions or tip?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Rodrigo S. Novelli
> > (E-Mail Removed)

Robert Koritnik

You could put DataList/Grid on the right side of the tree view without any
borders to make it look like it's a part of the same control and display
that data beside it. Line height in TreeView is fixed (at least you can make
it) so there should be no problem aligning each rows on the right side.

That's what I meant.

But beside that you could always make a Custom control... Which is quite a
tedius work, but you'll get exactly what you need and also optimized for the
work you need to be done.