Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Duplicate post as last - but with my subscription id's nospam to ensure an answer from MS

Duplicate post as last - but with my subscription id's nospam to ensure an answer from MS

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEx5bmNo?=

Sorry for the duplicate, but I wanted to make sure this would be seen by MS, and that they would answer it.... I have noticed (by getting ignored) that they won't just answer any old email and I want to get my $$ worth :

This one has me perplexed

from vs.net web app

add a new aspx pag
add 3 textbox's and a command butto
in the command buttons click event add response.write "button1 click

from any textbox press the enter ke
the Button1 Click event fire

add a new button, do nothing else except add respnse.write "buttonX click
it's click event might fire but it might be button1.. no real differences to the buttons properties but for some reason (that I can identify)

If anything I would prefer the Enter key to act as a tab key, the only cure I have found is to make the textbox a multiLine textbox. However, I would prefer not to do this, but I can't have someone submitting the form before all the textbox's have entrys (yes I know about fieldvalidators, I would just prefer not to have the it happen and or to have the page do something else

Thanks

Ro

Print | Copy URL of this post

Expand All Collapse All

Manage Your Profile |Legal |Contact

Curt_C [MVP]

huh?
First off it's not MS that is most likely to answer here, it's others like
you. Secondly, reposting just to get noticed is sure to get you ignored by
those of us who spend time in here. Thirdly, what $$ worth?

That said, what specifically is your problem? That the enter doesn't act
like TAB (that's not an ASP issue, it's a clientside catch of the keyboard
event and overriding it...also not good web-ettiquete) or are you saying
that button2 fires button1's click event?

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"Rob Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry for the duplicate, but I wanted to make sure this would be seen by

MS, and that they would answer it.... I have noticed (by getting ignored)
that they won't just answer any old email and I want to get my $$ worth

> This one has me perplexed.
>
> from vs.net web app.
>
> add a new aspx page
> add 3 textbox's and a command button
> in the command buttons click event add response.write "button1 click"
>
> from any textbox press the enter key
> the Button1 Click event fires
>
> add a new button, do nothing else except add respnse.write "buttonX click"
> it's click event might fire but it might be button1.. no real differences

to the buttons properties but for some reason (that I can identify)

> If anything I would prefer the Enter key to act as a tab key, the only

cure I have found is to make the textbox a multiLine textbox. However, I
would prefer not to do this, but I can't have someone submitting the form
before all the textbox's have entrys (yes I know about fieldvalidators, I
would just prefer not to have the it happen and or to have the page do
something else.

> Thanks
>
> Rob
>

> Print | Copy URL of this post
>

> Expand All Collapse All
>

> Manage Your Profile |Legal |Contact

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hey Curt,

He's probably an MSDN Universal subscriber who needs to post under the
registered name to be sure to get the attention of MS Managed Support.

That's how are took it, anyway.

Ken

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> huh?
> First off it's not MS that is most likely to answer here, it's others like
> you. Secondly, reposting just to get noticed is sure to get you ignored by
> those of us who spend time in here. Thirdly, what $$ worth?
>
> That said, what specifically is your problem? That the enter doesn't act
> like TAB (that's not an ASP issue, it's a clientside catch of the keyboard
> event and overriding it...also not good web-ettiquete) or are you saying
> that button2 fires button1's click event?
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "Rob Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry for the duplicate, but I wanted to make sure this would be seen by

> MS, and that they would answer it.... I have noticed (by getting ignored)
> that they won't just answer any old email and I want to get my $$ worth
>>

>> This one has me perplexed.
>>
>> from vs.net web app.
>>
>> add a new aspx page
>> add 3 textbox's and a command button
>> in the command buttons click event add response.write "button1 click"
>>
>> from any textbox press the enter key
>> the Button1 Click event fires
>>
>> add a new button, do nothing else except add respnse.write "buttonX
>> click"
>> it's click event might fire but it might be button1.. no real differences

> to the buttons properties but for some reason (that I can identify)
>>
>> If anything I would prefer the Enter key to act as a tab key, the only

> cure I have found is to make the textbox a multiLine textbox. However, I
> would prefer not to do this, but I can't have someone submitting the form
> before all the textbox's have entrys (yes I know about fieldvalidators, I
> would just prefer not to have the it happen and or to have the page do
> something else.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Rob
>>

>> Print | Copy URL of this post
>>

>> Expand All Collapse All
>>

>> Manage Your Profile |Legal |Contact

Curt_C [MVP]

Ahhh.... guess that makes sense... But what I want to know is if I answer it
b4 MS does do I get the $ instead :} hehehehhehe

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey Curt,
>
> He's probably an MSDN Universal subscriber who needs to post under the
> registered name to be sure to get the attention of MS Managed Support.
>
> That's how are took it, anyway.
>
> Ken

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > huh?
> > First off it's not MS that is most likely to answer here, it's others

like
> > you. Secondly, reposting just to get noticed is sure to get you ignored

by
> > those of us who spend time in here. Thirdly, what $$ worth?
> >
> > That said, what specifically is your problem? That the enter doesn't act
> > like TAB (that's not an ASP issue, it's a clientside catch of the

keyboard
> > event and overriding it...also not good web-ettiquete) or are you saying
> > that button2 fires button1's click event?
> >
> > --
> > Curt Christianson
> > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> > Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> > Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
> >

> > "Rob Lynch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Sorry for the duplicate, but I wanted to make sure this would be seen

by
> > MS, and that they would answer it.... I have noticed (by getting

ignored)
> > that they won't just answer any old email and I want to get my $$ worth

> >> This one has me perplexed.
> >>
> >> from vs.net web app.
> >>
> >> add a new aspx page
> >> add 3 textbox's and a command button
> >> in the command buttons click event add response.write "button1 click"
> >>
> >> from any textbox press the enter key
> >> the Button1 Click event fires
> >>
> >> add a new button, do nothing else except add respnse.write "buttonX
> >> click"
> >> it's click event might fire but it might be button1.. no real

differences
> > to the buttons properties but for some reason (that I can identify)
> >>
> >> If anything I would prefer the Enter key to act as a tab key, the only

> > cure I have found is to make the textbox a multiLine textbox. However, I
> > would prefer not to do this, but I can't have someone submitting the

form
> > before all the textbox's have entrys (yes I know about fieldvalidators,

> > would just prefer not to have the it happen and or to have the page do
> > something else.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Rob
> >>

> >> Print | Copy URL of this post
> >>

> >> Expand All Collapse All
> >>

> >> Manage Your Profile |Legal |Contact

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Yup, you get the same as MS gets!

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ahhh.... guess that makes sense... But what I want to know is if I answer
> it
> b4 MS does do I get the $ instead :} hehehehhehe

Curt_C [MVP]

heheheheheh good answer

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yup, you get the same as MS gets!

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Ahhh.... guess that makes sense... But what I want to know is if I

answer
> > it
> > b4 MS does do I get the $ instead :} hehehehhehe

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEx5bmNo?=

Curt, Ken's first answer was correct..

SO far for your payment for cynical off the topic discussions I will happily provide your paypal account with 1

:

Ro

PS Still hopeing for an non cynical answer that works......

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEx5bmNo?=

It is more would be better to descripe the behavour as something I don't want and would like the browser to ignore.

I can and have trapped the enter key but other than disableing it in certain controls I have had no real success.

What I dislike is that it is necessary

SingleLine textbox fires one of the Submit BUttons that VS.Net rendered... which one.. anybodys guess
MultiLine textbox accepts the Enter and adds an chr(13) to the text bo

What I woul like would be to make the Enter Key behave like a Tab key is certain situations..
Even using ClientSide script I have had probmes.. (very hard to get it to set focus to the next control without getting the EnterKey event

I am quite happy to share my failed attempts if it is worth the effort

Ro

PS Re why the second post.. Last year I made several posts that NO ONE answered (not even you. Even after paying for my MSDN subscription. It was months after my last need for help that I found that MS probably wasn't recognising my email address. NOT MCUH HELP. What I am hoping for now is a GOOD workaround from someone before I solve the problem myself, or just resort to good old style ASP. It kind of sucks that there is a "Means Test" done before some one from MS will actually step in and help. I would prefer to have a MEMBERS ONLY site like we used to and actually get a valid and correct answer

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

> PS Still hopeing for an non cynical answer that works......

Try mine in the other post?

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iIGx5bmNo?=

Ken, I did look at it, but it didn't provide anything other than confirmation that this is a bug.

FieldValidators (that the Q article sugests) won't work for this situation as there are some single line fields that don't require a response

As per final soultion (that works without validators) see the other thread

Ro

PS Something needs to be done to remove this need. The behavour should be something you can turn on and off with a property... i.e. textbox1.EnterCausesSubmit = tru

Otherwise the rendering of CommandButtons as <input type=Submit> Buttons rather than <input type=button> will always cause a problme when you have single line textbox'
My 1c wort