Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Navigating In Dataset

Navigating In Dataset

Sagheer

Hi.

Please forgive my ignorance but I was wondering if there
is any simple way to create a web form connected with the
the database and navigate ie, Next Record, Previous
Record, First and Last Record. Just like the ADO
Recordset....

I have done alot of research but found nothing so
far....Microsoft help says since it retreives everything
and stays in the memory, there is no need for navigating
the records in dataset....

Few solutions I found are very complex, It seems a major
requirement and very basic functionality for any recordset

Please help

Hermit Dave

Hi,
Yes that was a nice functionality as a part of ADO which was something i
didnot find very appealing when started using .NET
But with ADO.NET you have all sort of objects right from forward only
objects like DataReader to fully fledged ones like DataSet.
With dataset you can get the count of rows and just do a for loop. if you
know the current position then you can substract one or add one and do move
first or move last.
you can get the first one my [0] and last one by Rows.count -1.

You dont have implementation like you did in classic ADO but with ADO.net
its very flexible in terms of what you can achieve.

Hope this helps,

HD

"Sagheer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:01fe01c3c75f$61550c10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> Please forgive my ignorance but I was wondering if there
> is any simple way to create a web form connected with the
> the database and navigate ie, Next Record, Previous
> Record, First and Last Record. Just like the ADO
> Recordset....
>
> I have done alot of research but found nothing so
> far....Microsoft help says since it retreives everything
> and stays in the memory, there is no need for navigating
> the records in dataset....
>
> Few solutions I found are very complex, It seems a major
> requirement and very basic functionality for any recordset
>

> Please help

vMike

One other solution is to add a column to the table in code called say
"RowNumber" and use a for each process to poplulate the column with 1,2,3
etc.