Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Datagrid / Datalist problems

Datagrid / Datalist problems

Maria

Hi
I am a newbie to asp .net and can not get a grip of how
to best solve the following.

I want a part of my side to look and work as excel sheet.
The problem is that I would like to let the user edit
just some of the cells. I do not want to use special
button to put the datagrid / datalist to be editable. For
example I would like the user to edit cell c2 and when
the user leaves that cell I would like to calc some
result and put that result in d3. Some of the cells in
the grid is to be populated by a dataset.

Thanks in advance

Maria

Alvin Bruney

It sure seems like a simple requirement, but this is a major programming
task you are undertaking. Proceed with due diligence. Here are some issues
that may concern you. To make a web page interactive (have clients change
values) you first need to embed an excel spreadsheet into the web page and
automate (control) it. It's doable but the catch is that there are strict
licensing restrictions on when, how and where you can embed that object,
because the object belongs to microsoft. These requirements force the user
to have excel or a product belonging to the office suite of products
installed on the client. In addition, it is against licensing requirements
to open up this site to the internet. In fact, it wouldn't even run
correctly.

To get around the automation and licensing issues, you may want to stream
the data to the client in an excel stream by changing the content type of
the page. This requires no licensing and no embedding. However, the page
would only have excel on it and your drop downs or other webcontrols would
likely cause problems. And the page would not be interactive. You can use
script, clientside to submit the form back to the database to get the
changes made clientside.

Alternatively, you can stream to a frame though and keep your other
webcontrols outside the frame, say in another frame and make it look like a
seamless whole page. Before going any further, does that seem like something
you would want to invest some time in? There are other options available as
well.

There is a good article about excel in the Aspnetpro magazine concerning
just that - author Steve Orr. It's the November issue I believe. It will get
you started down the right path.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
"Maria" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:05ad01c3bcc9$1fa39b10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I am a newbie to asp .net and can not get a grip of how
> to best solve the following.
>
> I want a part of my side to look and work as excel sheet.
> The problem is that I would like to let the user edit
> just some of the cells. I do not want to use special
> button to put the datagrid / datalist to be editable. For
> example I would like the user to edit cell c2 and when
> the user leaves that cell I would like to calc some
> result and put that result in d3. Some of the cells in
> the grid is to be populated by a dataset.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Maria

Lostinet.Web Support

see my sample :
http://www.lostinet.com/en/lwsamplec...uthorList.aspx
http://www.lostinet.com/en/lwsamplec...uthorGrid.aspx

"Maria" <(E-Mail Removed)> ???? news:05ad01c3bcc9$1fa39b10$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I am a newbie to asp .net and can not get a grip of how
> to best solve the following.
>
> I want a part of my side to look and work as excel sheet.
> The problem is that I would like to let the user edit
> just some of the cells. I do not want to use special
> button to put the datagrid / datalist to be editable. For
> example I would like the user to edit cell c2 and when
> the user leaves that cell I would like to calc some
> result and put that result in d3. Some of the cells in
> the grid is to be populated by a dataset.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Maria

Maria

Thanks for the tips

I solved it just by the way I did not wan't to. By
programming a lot. I used <asp:table> since it just should
look like excel in some part and now it working quite well.

/Thank's
Maria