Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Does IE 6.x support <tbody style="overflow... attribute?

Does IE 6.x support <tbody style="overflow... attribute?

James Radke

Hello,

Does anyone know if any version of IE6 and higher supports the <tbody
overflow....>
attributes to allow us to easily put scroll bars around the table body while
keeping the headers fixed?

If it isn't native to IE6, is there a patch or some other page command that
add's this functionality?

Thanks!

Jim

Alvin Bruney

what are you trying to do? create a freeze pane effect on the datagrid?

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
"James Radke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know if any version of IE6 and higher supports the <tbody
> overflow....>
> attributes to allow us to easily put scroll bars around the table body

while
> keeping the headers fixed?
>
> If it isn't native to IE6, is there a patch or some other page command

that
> add's this functionality?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jim

James Radke

Alvin,

Yes, that is pretty much what I am trying to do.

In more detail, I found some examples on the web (see
http://www.Planet-Source-Code.com/vb...1545&lngWId=10
or the test_repeater at
http://www.v4cnet.com/articles/aspdo...dotnet_004.xml ) that show me
how to sort a datagrid (or datalist or repeater) via javascript client-side
by clicking on the table header column; the sort is then done with no
postback/page flicker and the up or down arrow is also placed in the header
of that column (note: one of the samples even provides column drag-and drop
table re-arranging on the client side).

Unfortunately, the header rows are not fixed in all these examples, and if I
put the whole datagrid (or datalist or repeater) within a div, the headers
will scroll off the top. What I would like to do is to only scroll the body
of the datagrid OR if I could figure it out, use a second table for the
fixed headers BUT still allow the sorting to happen on the main data table
when the fixed header is clicked on - and I haven't been able to figure that
part out either (probably because I am weak with my javascript coding).

From my reading, that is what the <tbody style="overflow:scroll"> should
do... only scroll the body of the table. But, it doesn't seem to be
implemented in IE, or I am not calling it correctly.

Any ideas?

Jim

"Alvin Bruney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> what are you trying to do? create a freeze pane effect on the datagrid?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney
> Got Tidbits? Get it here
> www.networkip.net/tidbits
> "James Radke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does anyone know if any version of IE6 and higher supports the <tbody
> > overflow....>
> > attributes to allow us to easily put scroll bars around the table body

> while
> > keeping the headers fixed?
> >
> > If it isn't native to IE6, is there a patch or some other page command

> that
> > add's this functionality?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Jim

Alvin Bruney

Dino esposito has covered this issue in the october issue of aspnetpro. The
code should be available online as well to subscribers. THe article is the
cover story called Freeze the header scroll the grid. Using two grids
doesn't work well. They go out of alignment depending on whether the cells
contain empty values.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
Got Tidbits? Get it here
www.networkip.net/tidbits
"James Radke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alvin,
>
> Yes, that is pretty much what I am trying to do.
>
> In more detail, I found some examples on the web (see

http://www.Planet-Source-Code.com/vb...1545&lngWId=10
> or the test_repeater at
> http://www.v4cnet.com/articles/aspdo...dotnet_004.xml ) that show me
> how to sort a datagrid (or datalist or repeater) via javascript

client-side
> by clicking on the table header column; the sort is then done with no
> postback/page flicker and the up or down arrow is also placed in the

header
> of that column (note: one of the samples even provides column drag-and

drop
> table re-arranging on the client side).
>
> Unfortunately, the header rows are not fixed in all these examples, and if

> put the whole datagrid (or datalist or repeater) within a div, the headers
> will scroll off the top. What I would like to do is to only scroll the

body
> of the datagrid OR if I could figure it out, use a second table for the
> fixed headers BUT still allow the sorting to happen on the main data table
> when the fixed header is clicked on - and I haven't been able to figure

that
> part out either (probably because I am weak with my javascript coding).
>
> From my reading, that is what the <tbody style="overflow:scroll"> should
> do... only scroll the body of the table. But, it doesn't seem to be
> implemented in IE, or I am not calling it correctly.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Jim
>

> "Alvin Bruney" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OZ$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > what are you trying to do? create a freeze pane effect on the datagrid?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Alvin Bruney
> > Got Tidbits? Get it here
> > www.networkip.net/tidbits
> > "James Radke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if any version of IE6 and higher supports the <tbody
> > > overflow....>
> > > attributes to allow us to easily put scroll bars around the table body

> > while
> > > keeping the headers fixed?
> > >
> > > If it isn't native to IE6, is there a patch or some other page command

> > that
> > > add's this functionality?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Jim

MSFT

Hi Jim,

As I know, this doesn't work in IE 6.0 and SP1.

Luke
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

James Radke

Luke,

Sure, LOL, it could never be THAT easy, could it?

Jim

"MSFT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jim,
>
> As I know, this doesn't work in IE 6.0 and SP1.
>

> Luke
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)

MSFT

HI Jim,

I found following web site on the internet:

http://www.makeitscroll.com/Example2.aspx

You may take a look at its source code to see how it work