Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > IDs in a DataGrid

IDs in a DataGrid

MikeD

Hello,

I'm still a bit new to all this and am probably asking the question the
wrong way but...

I would like to represent a SQL Table in a data grid and allow the user to
edit the values. In my simplest scenario a table has only an ID field and a
Name field. What I would like to be able to do is (if possible) only show
the Name field in the datagrid, but when I do I run into problems about
identifying that record when I wish to save the result back to the table.

So far the only way I have managed to do it is to also show the ID field and
have it editable, but this could cause problems as the ID is auto generated
by the table and can not change.

If I make the ID column read only then it errors when I try to read the
value in the Submit code.

How should I do this so the ID is preferably not visible but at a minimum is
not editable?

TIA

<M>ike

Sink

Set the column's Visble=False

<asp:BoundColumn Visbile="False" DataField="<Your Key
Field>"></asp:BoundColumn>

Regards
Sink

corrected spelling

James Radke

Mike,

It depends on how you are planning to do the update. Are you planning on
having a textbox entry by using the edit command within a datagrid row, or
are you planning on simply displaying a textbox, and allowing the user to
key the data right in, like an excel spreadsheet?

Jim

"MikeD" <mikedotdinnis@abraxashyphenukdotcom> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm still a bit new to all this and am probably asking the question the
> wrong way but...
>
> I would like to represent a SQL Table in a data grid and allow the user to
> edit the values. In my simplest scenario a table has only an ID field and

> Name field. What I would like to be able to do is (if possible) only show
> the Name field in the datagrid, but when I do I run into problems about
> identifying that record when I wish to save the result back to the table.
>
> So far the only way I have managed to do it is to also show the ID field

and
> have it editable, but this could cause problems as the ID is auto

generated
> by the table and can not change.
>
> If I make the ID column read only then it errors when I try to read the
> value in the Submit code.
>
> How should I do this so the ID is preferably not visible but at a minimum

is
> not editable?
>
> TIA
>
> <M>ike

MikeD

Hello Jim,

I was planning to use the edit command within the datagrid row as the data
entry method, but was having difficulty in returning the ID. I've since
discovered that I should have set the DataKey value and can then call that
in the update code, plus it makes the field un-editable which was exactly
what I was after.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

Regards,

<M>ike

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...