Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Upload Progress in ASP.NET

Upload Progress in ASP.NET

Garett

I am creating a document manager of sorts in ASP.net and it would be
really nice to have some sort of file upload progress bar for larger
files.

Companies such as www.websupergoo.com and www.softartisans.com have
created file upload tools that show the progress however I'd like to
make something myself. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble
figuring out how to get the *** final file size *** before the file is
actually uploaded.... (as far as i can figure, you will need this
information to determine how much of the file has been uploaded
already)

I was thinking you could use javascript to get the file details before
the form is submitted, but apparantly there are security issues with
this behaviour and it's not possible.

I think I need a funtamental paradigm shift...

any ideas?

Garett

bruce barker

1) softartisan uses an active/x control, so it looks at the file size on
disk.
2) websupergoo, uses the posted content length (if exists) or guesses. it
opens a polling window before the post. the polling window just uses an auto
refresh, that displays the server's the upload current status. hint: use a
upload id, and store the status in a static collection keyed by the id.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Garett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I am creating a document manager of sorts in ASP.net and it would be
> really nice to have some sort of file upload progress bar for larger
> files.
>
> Companies such as www.websupergoo.com and www.softartisans.com have
> created file upload tools that show the progress however I'd like to
> make something myself. Unfortunately, I'm having a bit of trouble
> figuring out how to get the *** final file size *** before the file is
> actually uploaded.... (as far as i can figure, you will need this
> information to determine how much of the file has been uploaded
> already)
>
> I was thinking you could use javascript to get the file details before
> the form is submitted, but apparantly there are security issues with
> this behaviour and it's not possible.
>
> I think I need a funtamental paradigm shift...
>
> any ideas?
>
> Garett

Question about HttpModule for file upload progress bar Li Zhang ASP .Net 1 05-19-2005 11:20 PM
Progress bar to show the progress of a task Charlie Zhang Java 3 08-16-2004 05:53 PM
Show Upload Progress Jeff S ASP .Net 3 04-06-2004 04:53 AM
File Upload Progress Kenneth Keeley ASP .Net 2 10-21-2003 10:46 PM
*Impossible* to build an upload progress meter using ASP.NET. Can you prove me wrong? Brian Birtle ASP .Net 3 10-16-2003 03:53 PM

Advertisments