Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Printing a large datagrid (hopefully a simple problem)

Printing a large datagrid (hopefully a simple problem)

Chris Gardner

I have a datagrid that prints a large number of records from a SQL
database. Because it is a large table, when printed the table
"bleeds" from one page to the next. Ideally, I would like to have 8
records to a page, then have the printer page break. Crystal Reports
is not an option.

What would be the best way to do this? I've experimented with paging
within the datagrid control, but in splitting the records over pages,
each page is considered separate to the browser.

I've also looked at page break CSS commands. Even if I broke the
datagrid into multiple tables, like:

Table part 1 of Datagrid

-Page break-

Table part 2 of Datagrid, etc.

that would be acceptable. I wouldn't mind seeing physical breaks on
the screen, if it meant the pages were being printed correctly.

Any ideas?

Craig Sterley

I fought with the same thing for several days and ended up using a free
control that allowed me to build the same table into a pdf document. I
think it was called dynamic pdf. Worked fairly well.