Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Events in HttpModule

Events in HttpModule

nerd

Hi,

I've easily implemented an HttpModule and use AcquireRequestState to
initialize an object and ReleaseRequestState store to session. Unfortunately
if a Response.Redirect takes place. The ReleaseRequestState does not fire.
No problem, I implement PreSendRequestContent or PreSendRequestHeaders and
now I'm able to fire the event before the Response.Redirect. But Uhoh, I've
got no access to the Session or Context.Items objects???

Please help I'm stumped on when/where to fire an event and still have access
to session and context before firing response.redirect.

Thanks,
John Haynes

jhaynes "at" mckinleycapital "dot" com

Natty Gur

Hi,

the source parameter holds HttpApplication so you can get context from
it :

public void Init(HttpApplication application)
{
application.BeginRequest += (new
EventHandler(this.Application_BeginRequest));
application.EndRequest += (new
EventHandler(this.Application_EndRequest));
application.PreSendRequestContent += (new EventHandler(this.App));
}

private void App(Object source, EventArgs e)
{
HttpApplication application = (HttpApplication)source;
HttpContext context = application.Context;
}

anyway you can also use EndRequest.

HTH

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

John Haynes

Getting to the context or session is not the problem, the problem is they no
longer exist at that point in the HttpPipeline they've already been dumped
from the HttpContext...

They are null nothing do not exists at this point. In debug mode when ">?
HttpContext", Current, Session and a few other elements have already been
dumped. As simple as it may seem I have no access to those elements at that
point. At runtime it produces object not found errors

I'd like to find some actual documentation that details what happens when
the events in the pipeline get bypassed. For example. I was using
ReleaseRequestState but Response.Redirect never fires ReleaseRequestState
and goes right to the next page. Where AcquireRequesState will fire. On a
full page load I can run ReleaseRequestState and have full access to Context
and Session but the peculiar thing is PreSendRequestContent and
PreSendRequestHeader preceed ReleaseRequestState in the HttpPipeline yet I
dont have access to the Context or Session there. I have been unable to find
documentation that supports this.

Thanks for the info though.

John

"Natty Gur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> the source parameter holds HttpApplication so you can get context from
> it :
>
> public void Init(HttpApplication application)
> {
> application.BeginRequest += (new
> EventHandler(this.Application_BeginRequest));
> application.EndRequest += (new
> EventHandler(this.Application_EndRequest));
> application.PreSendRequestContent += (new EventHandler(this.App));
> }
>
> private void App(Object source, EventArgs e)
> {
> HttpApplication application = (HttpApplication)source;
> HttpContext context = application.Context;
> }
>
> anyway you can also use EndRequest.
>
> HTH
>
> Natty Gur[MVP]
>
> blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
> Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

order of events - dynamic checkbox events =?Utf-8?B?bG91aXNlIHJhaXNiZWNr?= ASP .Net 0 08-17-2005 10:36 PM
HttpModule events Holly Li ASP .Net 2 08-04-2004 08:11 PM
Re: passing variables between web page events & httpmodules events Alvin Bruney ASP .Net 1 11-24-2003 04:14 PM
Passing Variables between Web Page Events and HttpModule Events shiv ASP .Net 0 11-21-2003 04:29 PM

Advertisments