Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > How: Place child controls on the Panel control?

How: Place child controls on the Panel control?

Tia Carr

When I try to place a child control on top of a panel control, the mouse
pointer remains as a pointer instead of changing to a cross.

I tried both the ShowGrid on/off, doesn't make a difference.. Can someone
please point out the obvious... I have the 2002 version of VS.NET.

TIA

Kevin Williams

Do you want the child control "inside" the panel, or "on top" of the
panel?

If you want it absolutely positioned on top, you can click on the
child control and use the arrow keys to move it over the panel.
Alternatively, you can edit the style attribute in HTML view (TOP and
LEFT attributes) to absolutely position the child control wherever you
want. Make sure the z-index for the child control is greater than
that of your panel.

If you want the child control INSIDE the Panel, you should just be
able to drag-and-drop it on the Panel and it should arrange itself
within automatically. Unless by "Panel" you mean "Panel-derived
custom control" which doesn't work that way (sorry, I don't remember
the specifics of working with Panel-derived controls now other than
they are a pain <grin>).

-Kevin