Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Printer Sharing on a Wirless Network

Printer Sharing on a Wirless Network

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlcm1hbiBXLg==?=

Hell everyone, I just recently connected my personal Home wireless network
and I’m to the point were I would like to share certain devices on my network
such as my printer, etc. I have a workstation that my printer/wireless
router is directly connected too. So how would I be able to allow other
wireless workstations to share those devices, without buy more hardware?
I know that this is a process that can be done, as seen by others; but it
seems as if I’ve preformed every step needed to configure my hard-wired
workstation so that my wireless workstations can share those devices, please
help!!!

--
Sherman Wilkins

James McIllece [MS]

"=?Utf-8?B?U2hlcm1hbiBXLg==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hell everyone, I just recently connected my personal Home wireless
> network and I’m to the point were I would like to share certain
> devices on my network such as my printer, etc. I have a workstation
> that my printer/wireless router is directly connected too. So how
> would I be able to allow other wireless workstations to share those
> devices, without buy more hardware? I know that this is a process that
> can be done, as seen by others; but it seems as if I’ve preformed
> every step needed to configure my hard-wired workstation so that my
> wireless workstations can share those devices, please help!!!

The fact that some of the computers are wireless and some are wired doesn't
matter -- all you need to do is make sure they are joined to the same
workgroup and that you have shared the printer to Everyone.

Then install the printer drivers on the other clients and connect to the
shared printer. That's really all there is to it.

--
James McIllece, Microsoft

Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
name for newsgroup participation only.

Michael T

I found that I had to make sure Norton Internet Security (NIS) was
configured to allowed my laptop (wireless) amd desktop (wired) to 'see' each
other.

My new laptop (notebook) came with NIS installed.

--
Michael

"Sherman W." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hell everyone, I just recently connected my personal Home wireless network
> and I'm to the point were I would like to share certain devices on my
> network
> such as my printer, etc. I have a workstation that my printer/wireless
> router is directly connected too. So how would I be able to allow other
> wireless workstations to share those devices, without buy more hardware?
> I know that this is a process that can be done, as seen by others; but it
> seems as if I've preformed every step needed to configure my hard-wired
> workstation so that my wireless workstations can share those devices,
> please
> help!!!
>
> --
> Sherman Wilkins

=?Utf-8?B?TGVzbGllIFVuZGVyd29vZA==?=

Having followed the advice provided below I am still unsuccessful in being
able to use my printer in a home network. I have configured my computers
accordingly through Symantec NIS (at least I think I did so correctly) and it
states it recognizes the "Gateway", etc. I have a desktop computer as the
host unit with the printer attached directly to it. I have a laptop that I
have a wireless network set up on. Still, I am having difficulties in getting
documents to print from the laptop.
Can you help?

"James McIllece [MS]" wrote:

> "=?Utf-8?B?U2hlcm1hbiBXLg==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hell everyone, I just recently connected my personal Home wireless
> > network and I’m to the point were I would like to share certain
> > devices on my network such as my printer, etc. I have a workstation
> > that my printer/wireless router is directly connected too. So how
> > would I be able to allow other wireless workstations to share those
> > devices, without buy more hardware? I know that this is a process that
> > can be done, as seen by others; but it seems as if I’ve preformed
> > every step needed to configure my hard-wired workstation so that my
> > wireless workstations can share those devices, please help!!!
> >

> The fact that some of the computers are wireless and some are wired doesn't
> matter -- all you need to do is make sure they are joined to the same
> workgroup and that you have shared the printer to Everyone.
>
> Then install the printer drivers on the other clients and connect to the
> shared printer. That's really all there is to it.
>
> --
> James McIllece, Microsoft
>
> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This is my online account
> name for newsgroup participation only.

Michael T

ASSUMING WINDOWS XP
-------------------------------
In NIS, if you click Personal Firewall (link) > Configure (button) >
Networking (tab) you should see a Network Address for Trusted Zones.

This address should contain an IP address and a Subnet Mask.

If you go to the workstation (computer) where the printer is connected and
go to the Command Prompt (start>run>cmd) you can check this from the command
prompt window.

Type ipconfig /all

The display should show:
IP Address
and
Subnet Mask

Do these match the settings in NIS?

Next go to Start > Printers and Faxes
Right click the default printer and select Properties
Select the "Sharing" tab and make sure the radio button for "Share the
printer" is selected.

Michael

"Leslie Underwood" <Leslie http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having followed the advice provided below I am still unsuccessful in being
> able to use my printer in a home network. I have configured my computers
> accordingly through Symantec NIS (at least I think I did so correctly) and
> it
> states it recognizes the "Gateway", etc. I have a desktop computer as the
> host unit with the printer attached directly to it. I have a laptop that I
> have a wireless network set up on. Still, I am having difficulties in
> getting
> documents to print from the laptop.
> Can you help?
>
> "James McIllece [MS]" wrote:

=?Utf-8?B?TGVzbGllIFVuZGVyd29vZA==?=

Micheal T;

It took me a while to get it to work but I finally stumbled across the
correct configuration. It was not what I had expected.

Either way, I am connected and I thank you.