Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Controls > Starting a new thread in ASP.NET application

Starting a new thread in ASP.NET application

Lenny

Hello,

Some pages in ASP.NET application perform very process-intensive tasks
(parsing large flat files, saving data to SQL Server, etc.. ) Some tasks
might take longer to execute than users' expectations. New thread(s) will be
started for these process-intensive tasks, so asp.net process can take over
and send response to the client's browsers.

Does anyone see any issues with this scenario?
How can application inform user when thread is completed or failed after
response was sent to a browser.
Can some kind of client-side object maintain connection with the server and
inform a user of the progress and when thread is completed/failed.
Any other alternatives?

Thank you in advance.

dave wanta

Check out
Sending 1000's of Emails from your webpage
http://www.aspnetemail.com/samples/webmailer.aspx

I built it for customers who need to spawn a new thread, in asp.net to send
out their newsletter.

hth,
Dave
www.aspNetEmail.com

"Lenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Some pages in ASP.NET application perform very process-intensive tasks
> (parsing large flat files, saving data to SQL Server, etc.. ) Some tasks
> might take longer to execute than users' expectations. New thread(s) will

be
> started for these process-intensive tasks, so asp.net process can take

over
> and send response to the client's browsers.
>
> Does anyone see any issues with this scenario?
> How can application inform user when thread is completed or failed after
> response was sent to a browser.
> Can some kind of client-side object maintain connection with the server

and
> inform a user of the progress and when thread is completed/failed.
> Any other alternatives?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Lenny

> Check out
> Sending 1000's of Emails from your webpage
> http://www.aspnetemail.com/samples/webmailer.aspx

I downloaded your demo, this would work great for me. Thanks a lot!!!