Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > view keystore names

view keystore names

Zhi-Qiang Ni[MSFT]

Hi Chuck,

You are right, Your link has specify the detail.
The RSAProtectedConfigurationProvider is the default provider and uses the
RSA public key encryption to encrypt and decrypt data.

If you use Machine Key Container.
RSA machine key containers are stored in the following folder:
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys

If you use RSA user-level key containers.
RSA user-level key containers are stored in the following folder:
\Documents and Settings\{UserName}\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA
And run the following command from a command prompt to import the custom
RSA encryption keys:
aspnet_regiis -pi "CustomKeys" "C:\CustomKeys.xml"

--
Best Regards,
Zhi-Qiang Ni

Zhi-Qiang Ni[MSFT]

Hi Chuck,

If you assign RSA Key Container with aspnet_regiis, you can use the
following way to export the custom RSA key container to an XML file.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f5cs0acs.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2w117ede.aspx

--
Best Regards,
Zhi-Qiang Ni

Chuck

If I use aspnet_regiis to create a RSA machine encryption key.
How can I view the keystore names on the computer.
I was trying to use the MMC certificates snap in but couldn't find the one I
created.

Thanks,

"Zhi-Qiang Ni[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>
> If you assign RSA Key Container with aspnet_regiis, you can use the
> following way to export the custom RSA key container to an XML file.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f5cs0acs.aspx
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2w117ede.aspx
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Zhi-Qiang Ni
> Microsoft Online Support
>
> .

Zhi-Qiang Ni[MSFT]

Hi Chuck,

As far as I know, the MMC is used to manage the Certificates,such as X.509
certificate,ssl certificate.
The location 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys store the encyption key.
When you use Aspnet_regiis.exe utility tool to encypt the web.config
section,it will generate the key store, it store key into the above
location.

So you can't use the mmc to view encryption key, it used to manage the
certificate not the key.
If you create the RSA Key Container, you can use the following way to view
the public key and private key:
For example, the following command exports the machine-level RSA key
container named SampleKeys to the file named keys.xml and includes the
private key information.
aspnet_regiis -px "SampleKeys" keys.xml -pri

Please check the following link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...t2(VS.80).aspx

--
Best Regards,