Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > How to post on the server side

How to post on the server side

Larry Smith

Hi there,

I have a page with a button on it and when the user clicks the button on the
client side I need to embed some encrypted information in the page on the
server side. I then want to post the page to another URL but it should
appear as if it came directly from the user himself (not the server). To
handle this, I'm currently allowing the page to be returned to the user
(with the encrypted info) where an embedded script immediately posts the
data. Is there a way to simply post the page on the server side after
embedding the encrypted info but adjust some field(s) so that it appears as
if it came directly from the user (client). Thanks in advance.

Alexey Smirnov

On Jan 16, 5:03*pm, "Larry Smith" <_no_spam@_no_spacm.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a page with a button on it and when the user clicks the button on the
> client side I need to embed some encrypted information in the page on the
> server side. I then want to post the page to another URL but it should
> appear as if it came directly from the user himself (not the server). To
> handle this, I'm currently allowing the page to be returned to the user
> (with the encrypted info) where an embedded script immediately posts the
> data. Is there a way to simply post the page on the server side after
> embedding the encrypted info but adjust some field(s) so that it appears as
> if it came directly from the user (client). Thanks in advance.

Hi Larry,

take a look here http://www.developer.com/net/asp/article.php/3645506

Hope this helps

Larry Smith

> Hi Larry,

> take a look here http://www.developer.com/net/asp/article.php/3645506

> Hope this helps

I'll take a look but I'm not sure if it gives me what I really need (on
first glance). It appears helpful though so I'll dig into it. It might lead
me to what I'm after. Thanks.

Andrew Morton

Larry Smith wrote:
> I have a page with a button on it and when the user clicks the button
> on the client side I need to embed some encrypted information in the
> page on the server side. I then want to post the page to another URL
> but it should appear as if it came directly from the user himself
> (not the server).

What, you want to spoof the IP address too? Are you trying to get around
some security measure?

Andrew

Larry Smith

>> I have a page with a button on it and when the user clicks the button
>> on the client side I need to embed some encrypted information in the
>> page on the server side. I then want to post the page to another URL
>> but it should appear as if it came directly from the user himself
>> (not the server).

> What, you want to spoof the IP address too? Are you trying to get around
> some security measure?

Not exactly. The process of returning the page to the client only to run a
script that immediately posts the page to its intended target is a wasted
round trip and mechanically clumsy. It also causes a page refresh on the
client side which is visually confusing. There's a slight delay when the
user clicks the button and a moment later their page refreshes with my
encrypted info now embedded (scrolling them back to the top of the page).
The page then immediately disappears as the user is directed to the target
URL that my script is sending them to. Hardly a model design.