Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Access to restricted folder

Access to restricted folder

Alex. O. Koranteng

I have configured my app to use sql membership provider. I have a sub folder
which has specified pages to allow access to restricted users. When I ran the
application, I get this error: It is an error to use a section registered as
allow definition='Machineapplication' beyond application level, This error
can be caused by virtual directory not configured as virtual application.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Alex,

This exception is generally caused by the fact that the web.config file in
the sub folder is not correctly configured. Ideally the web.config should
only contain authorization element, as below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="Test1" />
<deny users="Test2" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Please try above code to see if it works. If it does, please then check if
some other elements are added in it. For example, if I add the membership
element it will throw following exception:

allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
application in IIS.

Source Error:

Line 30: <system.web>
Line 31:
Line 32: <membership defaultProvider="MyProvider1"
userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
Line 33: <providers>
Line 34: <clear/>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\membershiperror\test\web.config Line: 32

From the above information we can see the memberhip element is the culprit

Please check it to see what the culprit is and let me know if you need
further assistance. Besides, here's a related post in the ASP.NET forum:
http://forums.asp.net/t/769696.aspx

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...tance&ln=en-us.

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?QWxleC4gTy4gS29yYW50ZW5n?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
| Subject: Access to restricted folder
| Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:51:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
|
| I have configured my app to use sql membership provider. I have a sub
folder
| which has specified pages to allow access to restricted users. When I ran
the
| application, I get this error: It is an error to use a section registered
as
| allow definition='Machineapplication' beyond application level, This
error
| can be caused by virtual directory not configured as virtual application.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Alex,

Have you got it solved?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support
--------------------
| From: (E-Mail Removed) (Allen Chen [MSFT])
| Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 02:21:41 GMT
| Subject: RE: Access to restricted folder
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
|
| Hi Alex,
|
| This exception is generally caused by the fact that the web.config file
in
| the sub folder is not correctly configured. Ideally the web.config should
| only contain authorization element, as below:
|
| <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
| <configuration>
| <system.web>
| <authorization>
| <allow users="Test1" />
| <deny users="Test2" />
| </authorization>
| </system.web>
| </configuration>
|
| Please try above code to see if it works. If it does, please then check
if
| some other elements are added in it. For example, if I add the membership
| element it will throw following exception:
|
| Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as
| allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
| error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
| application in IIS.
|
| Source Error:
|

| Line 30: <system.web>
| Line 31:
| Line 32: <membership defaultProvider="MyProvider1"
| userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
| Line 33: <providers>
| Line 34: <clear/>
|

| Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\membershiperror\test\web.config Line:
32

| From the above information we can see the memberhip element is the
culprit

| Please check it to see what the culprit is and let me know if you need
| further assistance. Besides, here's a related post in the ASP.NET forum:
| http://forums.asp.net/t/769696.aspx
|

| Regards,
| Allen Chen
| Microsoft Online Community Support
|

| Delighting our customers is our #1 priority. We welcome your comments and
| suggestions about how we can improve the support we provide to you.
Please
| feel free to let my manager know what you think of the level of service
| provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager at:
| (E-Mail Removed).
|
| ==================================================
| Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subs...#notifications.
|
| Note: The MSDN Managed Newsgroup support offering is for non-urgent
issues
| where an initial response from the community or a Microsoft Support
| Engineer within 1 business day is acceptable. Please note that each
follow
| up response may take approximately 2 business days as the support
| professional working with you may need further investigation to reach the
| most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for situations
| that require urgent, real-time or phone-based interactions or complex
| project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are best
| handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by contacting
| Microsoft Customer Support Services (CSS) at

http://support.microsoft.com/select/...tance&ln=en-us.
| ==================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?QWxleC4gTy4gS29yYW50ZW5n?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
| | Subject: Access to restricted folder
| | Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:51:01 -0700
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
| |
| | I have configured my app to use sql membership provider. I have a sub
| folder
| | which has specified pages to allow access to restricted users. When I
ran
| the
| | application, I get this error: It is an error to use a section
registered
| as
| | allow definition='Machineapplication' beyond application level, This
| error
| | can be caused by virtual directory not configured as virtual
application.
| |

Alex. O. Koranteng

Thanks for your help. I have added the authorization element to web config in
the sub folder and things are working. What is the difference beteeen this
approach and using the Security Admin tool. My next step to extend this
functionality to other pages within the restricted folder, but I can only get
one page to open for folder.
Any suggestions

Thanks

Alex

Quote from Alex============================================== ====
What is the difference beteeen this approach and using the Security Admin
tool

The tool adds authorization tag in the web.config for us. The final effect
we get by using these two approaches is basically identical. Do you mean
your tool adds other elements as well?

Quote from Alex ==================================================

My next step to extend this
functionality to other pages within the restricted folder, but I can only
get
one page to open for folder.

Could you please clarify this? What do you mean by "but I can only get
one page to open for folder"?

> [...]

rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?QWxleC4gTy4gS29yYW50ZW5n?= <(E-Mail Removed)>
| > | Subject: Access to restricted folder
| > | Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 16:51:01 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security
| > |
| > | I have configured my app to use sql membership provider. I have a sub
| > folder
| > | which has specified pages to allow access to restricted users. When I
ran
| > the
| > | application, I get this error: It is an error to use a section
registered
| > as
| > | allow definition='Machineapplication' beyond application level, This
| > error
| > | can be caused by virtual directory not configured as virtual

Have you solved this issue? Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support