Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > ASP.NET 2.0 Forms Authentication - not always redirecting toLogin.aspx after session timeout

ASP.NET 2.0 Forms Authentication - not always redirecting toLogin.aspx after session timeout

alovhaug@gmail.com

Here's my situation: I have an ASP.NET 2.0 application using Forms
Authentiation. The user successfully logs in, then walks away from
their computer so that the session times out. (No problem.) When they
return to their computer (not realizing their timed out), and click on
a button on the page, sometimes it will take take them back to the
login.aspx to make them log-in again, which is PERFECT.

However, sometimes they are either getting the message "Internet
Explorer cannot display the webpage" (if using IE) or "The connection
was reset" (if using Firefox). This seems to happen before a postback
to the server, as if I am debugging using VS2008 breakpoints are never
hit (even in the global.asax.vb). It does not seem to be consistent -
a button that will work the first time around will break the next
time.

I had hoped that it was something unique to my development
environment, but my testers on a completely different server are also
experiencing this. I've done all kinds of google searches, but these
particular messages cover a host of problems and no pages I've looked
at so far seem related. I thought perhaps it was a problem with a
third party control, but I can reproduce this with a simple page with
no controls but a single button and some text.

Any suggestions? I've run out of ideas.