Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Extending ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider

Extending ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider

Vaishali Patel

Hi,
I have a custom schema in my Active Directory which has Groups Like
RoleGroup, CompanyGroup. There is a custom WebUsers schema as well. Each
WebUser is associated with Mutliple RoleGroups and CompanyGroups.
1. How can I extend / customize ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider to get the
list of groups (both RoleGroup and CompanyGroup) and add new values to this
group ?
2. How can I extend / customize ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider to create
Web Users that are associated to these custom groups?

Please advice.
Regards,
Vaishali Patel.

Joe Kaplan

The AD membership provider doesn't include a role provider at all, so
essentially you just need to write your own role provider. You would
presumably do LDAP queries to look up your custom schema.

My coauthor, Ryan Dunn, created an AD role provider sample on CodePlex that
just turns normal AD security group membership into roles. You might be
able to use that as a starting point.

Joe K.

http://www.directoryprogramming.net
--