Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Programmatically creating Excel spreadsheets in ASP.NET

Programmatically creating Excel spreadsheets in ASP.NET

Raoul Snyman

Hi,

I need to be able to programatically create excel spreadsheets in
ASP.NET (C#), WITHOUT having MS Office on the server.

Does anybody have any advice/links/whatever for me?

Thanks in advance,

Raoul.

CT

Hmm, one way is to have a grid control that can export to an Excel sheet,
but otherwise you need a third-party control that does it for you. Here are
some links:
http://www.infragistics.com/products/grids.asp
http://www.devdirect.com/ALL/GRID_PCAT_1855.aspx

--
Carsten Thomsen
Enterprise Development with VS .NET, UML, and MSF
"Raoul Snyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I need to be able to programatically create excel spreadsheets in
> ASP.NET (C#), WITHOUT having MS Office on the server.
>
> Does anybody have any advice/links/whatever for me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Raoul.

Don

Hi Raoul,

Our Spread for Web Forms is a spreadsheet component that will import
and export Excel files, as well as many other features. Here's the
link for more info if you're interested in downloading a trial:
http://www.fpoint.com/netproducts/spreadweb/spread.html

- Donald
FarPoint

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Raoul Snyman) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hi,
>
> I need to be able to programatically create excel spreadsheets in
> ASP.NET (C#), WITHOUT having MS Office on the server.

Curt_C [MVP]

have you looked at the content type setting in the page declaration?

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"Raoul Snyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I need to be able to programatically create excel spreadsheets in
> ASP.NET (C#), WITHOUT having MS Office on the server.
>
> Does anybody have any advice/links/whatever for me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Raoul.

George Ter-Saakov

I belive the ContentType header will only help when you already have an
Excel file to send.

If you do not want to install MS Office then you have to look for third
party solution which will write an excel file from scratch.
It will be much cheaper to buy one than to write it yourself.

George.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> have you looked at the content type setting in the page declaration?
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "Raoul Snyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I need to be able to programatically create excel spreadsheets in
> > ASP.NET (C#), WITHOUT having MS Office on the server.
> >
> > Does anybody have any advice/links/whatever for me?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Raoul.

Curt_C [MVP]

build a table in html, set the content type to excel (lookup the exact
phrase) and your page should generate as a spreadsheet, and the client will
execute their spreadsheet app or be prompted for download.

That's what I believe will work

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com

"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I belive the ContentType header will only help when you already have an
> Excel file to send.
>
> If you do not want to install MS Office then you have to look for third
> party solution which will write an excel file from scratch.
> It will be much cheaper to buy one than to write it yourself.
>
> George.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > have you looked at the content type setting in the page declaration?
> >
> > --
> > Curt Christianson
> > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> > Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> > Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
> >

> > "Raoul Snyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I need to be able to programatically create excel spreadsheets in
> > > ASP.NET (C#), WITHOUT having MS Office on the server.
> > >
> > > Does anybody have any advice/links/whatever for me?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Raoul.

George Ter-Saakov

Cool. I did not know that.
Is it working with Excel 2000? Or XP only?

George.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> build a table in html, set the content type to excel (lookup the exact
> phrase) and your page should generate as a spreadsheet, and the client

will
> execute their spreadsheet app or be prompted for download.
>
> That's what I believe will work
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I belive the ContentType header will only help when you already have an
> > Excel file to send.
> >
> > If you do not want to install MS Office then you have to look for third
> > party solution which will write an excel file from scratch.
> > It will be much cheaper to buy one than to write it yourself.
> >
> > George.
> >
> > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
> > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > have you looked at the content type setting in the page declaration?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Curt Christianson
> > > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> > > Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> > > Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
> > >

> > > "Raoul Snyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

Bob Cummings

Raoul Snyman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to be able to programatically create excel spreadsheets in
> ASP.NET (C#), WITHOUT having MS Office on the server.
>
> Does anybody have any advice/links/whatever for me?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Raoul.

Hi Raoul

We ran into the same situation with our senior class project. We
cheated and used some vb script to solve the problem.

If you are going to have excel on the client machine and it is a local
intranet (for security settings) you can display the data as a datagrid.
And then use some vbscript to convert the datagrid to an excel spread
sheet. The only problem we ran across was having to set the security
settings on IE to prompt for initialize and script active X security
setting.

Otherwise one of my team member was suggesting the same thing as Curt.

Bob

Patrice

Was possible since at least Excel 97 (much slower though to convert a big
file). With later version you could also probably use the XML schema used to
save Excel files though doing this yourself may still be overkill compared
with buying a component.

Patrice

"George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cool. I did not know that.
> Is it working with Excel 2000? Or XP only?
>
> George.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > build a table in html, set the content type to excel (lookup the exact
> > phrase) and your page should generate as a spreadsheet, and the client

> will
> > execute their spreadsheet app or be prompted for download.
> >
> > That's what I believe will work
> >
> > --
> > Curt Christianson
> > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> > Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> > Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
> >

> > "George Ter-Saakov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I belive the ContentType header will only help when you already have

an
> > > Excel file to send.
> > >
> > > If you do not want to install MS Office then you have to look for

third
> > > party solution which will write an excel file from scratch.
> > > It will be much cheaper to buy one than to write it yourself.
> > >
> > > George.
> > >
> > > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
> > > news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Curt_C [MVP]

It's not really Excel Version Specific, it's just a generic "spreadsheet".
Whatever app they have set to open .XLS will be called.