Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Adding Roles and Membership to 2003

Adding Roles and Membership to 2003

Sam Samson

Greetings,

I have created a test Web site using membership and roles on my XP sandbox.
All worked well
Deployed my website to 2003 did some magic moving aspnet_db into sql server
existing DB .. all works as desired.

However I do not know how to add users and roles on the 2003 server.
In Visual Studio I availed myself of the ASP.Net configuration icon and used
that ( I have pointed the memership role provider at my 2003 sql server in
my sandbox app and this works)

my question is how do I manage my users and roles from the 2003 server itself
(instead of my hack)
[Sam Samson] - There is no greater folly than fixed price quoting.

Scott M.

There is no built-in mechanism in 2003 for this. In this environment, the
aspnet_db is just a database that you'll have to manually connect to and
update yourself.

"Sam Samson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Greetings,
>
> I have created a test Web site using membership and roles on my XP
> sandbox. All worked well
> Deployed my website to 2003 did some magic moving aspnet_db into sql
> server existing DB .. all works as desired.
>
> However I do not know how to add users and roles on the 2003 server.
> In Visual Studio I availed myself of the ASP.Net configuration icon and
> used that ( I have pointed the memership role provider at my 2003 sql
> server in my sandbox app and this works)
>
> my question is how do I manage my users and roles from the 2003 server
> itself (instead of my hack)
> [Sam Samson] - There is no greater folly than fixed price quoting.

Balagopal N. Nair

Can't the ISS website be opened in Visual Studio directly where in the user
can make use of the ASP.NET configuration?

"Scott M." wrote:

> There is no built-in mechanism in 2003 for this. In this environment, the
> aspnet_db is just a database that you'll have to manually connect to and
> update yourself.
>

> "Sam Samson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have created a test Web site using membership and roles on my XP
> > sandbox. All worked well
> > Deployed my website to 2003 did some magic moving aspnet_db into sql
> > server existing DB .. all works as desired.
> >
> > However I do not know how to add users and roles on the 2003 server.
> > In Visual Studio I availed myself of the ASP.Net configuration icon and
> > used that ( I have pointed the memership role provider at my 2003 sql
> > server in my sandbox app and this works)
> >
> > my question is how do I manage my users and roles from the 2003 server
> > itself (instead of my hack)
> > [Sam Samson] - There is no greater folly than fixed price quoting.

Balagopal N. Nair

I mean IIS... sorry

"Balagopal N. Nair" wrote:

> Can't the ISS website be opened in Visual Studio directly where in the user
> can make use of the ASP.NET configuration?
>

> "Scott M." wrote:
>
> > There is no built-in mechanism in 2003 for this. In this environment, the
> > aspnet_db is just a database that you'll have to manually connect to and
> > update yourself.
> >

> > "Sam Samson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I have created a test Web site using membership and roles on my XP
> > > sandbox. All worked well
> > > Deployed my website to 2003 did some magic moving aspnet_db into sql
> > > server existing DB .. all works as desired.
> > >
> > > However I do not know how to add users and roles on the 2003 server.
> > > In Visual Studio I availed myself of the ASP.Net configuration icon and
> > > used that ( I have pointed the memership role provider at my 2003 sql
> > > server in my sandbox app and this works)
> > >
> > > my question is how do I manage my users and roles from the 2003 server
> > > itself (instead of my hack)
> > > [Sam Samson] - There is no greater folly than fixed price quoting.

Sam Samson

Hello Scott M.,

What I ended up doing was setting up 2003 SQL side of it (aspnet_db on 2003)
and pointing my development machine membership provider to use that ... then
I can use the the tools in the IDE ... not a great solution.

cheers Sam