Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Membership.ValidateUser() from Login.OnAuthenticate()?

Membership.ValidateUser() from Login.OnAuthenticate()?

asnowfall@gmail.com

I am using 'System.Web.Security.Membership' &
'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login' control to implement Forms based
authentication.

Can I call Membership.ValidateUser() from Login.OnAuthenticate()? I
want to do this because I want to control cookie creation.

I have not been able to find a sample code where
Membership.ValidateUser() is called and
'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login' control is also being used at the
same time; and I see Membership.ValidateUser() being used along with
custom log-in form.

Please let me know whether it is legal to call
Membership.ValidateUser() from Login.OnAuthenticate().

Thanks
Ramesh

Dominick Baier

Yep. You can do that. It is simply doing a database call to verify the supplied
credentials.

-----

> I am using 'System.Web.Security.Membership' &
> 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login' control to implement Forms based
> authentication.
>
> Can I call Membership.ValidateUser() from Login.OnAuthenticate()? I
> want to do this because I want to control cookie creation.
>
> I have not been able to find a sample code where
> Membership.ValidateUser() is called and
> 'System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login' control is also being used at the
> same time; and I see Membership.ValidateUser() being used along with
> custom log-in form.
>
> Please let me know whether it is legal to call
> Membership.ValidateUser() from Login.OnAuthenticate().
> Thanks
> Rames

asnowfall@gmail.com

I am using custom membership provider and I think your answer applies
holds even for that.

Thanks
Ramesh