Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > manual configuration of home network.

manual configuration of home network.

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi

Assuming that you are using Windows XP.

If you do not have a Network Card you need to install one (Get a card and follow the
instructions that comes with it).

Once a card is installed (or already been there), check to make sure that the hardware
installation is OK. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost

Windows XP would install the core Network upon boot up if it detects a valid Network
card. To manually configure this core setting look here, http://tinyurl.com/ywy73

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"payne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Z6R3f.1446$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> How do I do this? I don't want to use the configuration wizard, thanks.

payne

How do I do this? I don't want to use the configuration wizard, thanks.

Lawrence

Jack (MVP) wrote:
> Hi
>
> Assuming that you are using Windows XP.
>
> If you do not have a Network Card you need to install one (Get a card and follow the
> instructions that comes with it).
>
> Once a card is installed (or already been there), check to make sure that the hardware
> installation is OK. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
>
> Windows XP would install the core Network upon boot up if it detects a valid Network
> card. To manually configure this core setting look here, http://tinyurl.com/ywy73
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "payne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Z6R3f.1446$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>
>>How do I do this? I don't want to use the configuration wizard, thanks.

Hi and thanks for your answer. I suppose I should have given a little
more information but I was trying to keep it short. I have three
computers all running xp with sp2, I did have a network setup but for
some reason it got fouled up. When I tried to use the wizard to setup
again I got this error: cannot complete the network setup wizard on this
computer. You can configure your network manually or you can run the
wizard again with different settings. Hence my question about manual
configuration. I went to the website you gave me and my settings are
almost identical, I have no idea what "different settings" the wizard is
referring to. When I go to "my network places" I can see two computers
but I can't access any because I get the mssage that I don't have
permission. Windows firewall is turned off and zone alarm is set to
receive the IP addresses. Hope you can help.

Jack \(MVP\)

Hi
If the settings are OK and you see the computers but can not share may be this can Help.
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

news:aJW3f.1430$(E-Mail Removed) ...

Jack (MVP) wrote:
> Hi
> If the settings are OK and you see the computers but can not share may be this can Help.
> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:aJW3f.1430$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>>Jack (MVP) wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Assuming that you are using Windows XP.
>>>
>>>If you do not have a Network Card you need to install one (Get a card and follow the
>>>instructions that comes with it).
>>>
>>>Once a card is installed (or already been there), check to make sure that the

> hardware
>
>>>installation is OK. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
>>>
>>>Windows XP would install the core Network upon boot up if it detects a valid Network
>>>card. To manually configure this core setting look here, http://tinyurl.com/ywy73
>>>
>>>Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>>

>>>"payne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:Z6R3f.1446$(E-Mail Removed) om...

>>Hi and thanks for your answer. I suppose I should have given a little
>>more information but I was trying to keep it short. I have three
>>computers all running xp with sp2, I did have a network setup but for
>>some reason it got fouled up. When I tried to use the wizard to setup
>>again I got this error: cannot complete the network setup wizard on this
>>computer. You can configure your network manually or you can run the
>>wizard again with different settings. Hence my question about manual
>>configuration. I went to the website you gave me and my settings are
>>almost identical, I have no idea what "different settings" the wizard is
>>referring to. When I go to "my network places" I can see two computers
>>but I can't access any because I get the mssage that I don't have
>>permission. Windows firewall is turned off and zone alarm is set to
>>receive the IP addresses. Hope you can help.

Thanks for all the info. I have printed it all out and it will probably
take me a while to do this as I am not a guru but I think this is what I
need.

Michael T

"Lawrence" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aJW3f.1430$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> When I go to "my network places" I can see two computers but I can't
> access any because I get the mssage that I don't have permission. Windows
> firewall is turned off and zone alarm is set to receive the IP addresses.
> Hope you can help.

I had a similar error and the fix was in Norton Internet Security - running
on my notebook (laptop). I had to go to the Personal Firewall section of NIS
and use the WIZARD.

Michael