Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Case sensitive login

Case sensitive login

Paolo Niccol├▓ Giubelli [Axettone]

Is it possible to make the login process case sensitive?
I want to make the user 'bob' unable to logon if he types 'BoB' or if he
does the same with the password.
Thank you in advance!

Scott M.

What "login process" are you referring to? A pre-canned one or one of your
own?

Since logging in requires the user name and password to be checked against a
stored user name and password, we are really talking about comparing a
string against a string. Since strings are literals, you get case-sensitive
checking by default. If you don't want case-sensitivity, then you convert
all the strings involved to all upper or all lower case so that case won't
matter.

"Paolo Niccol˛ Giubelli [Axettone]" <axettone|at|hotmail|com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to make the login process case sensitive?
> I want to make the user 'bob' unable to logon if he types 'BoB' or if he
> does the same with the password.
> Thank you in advance!

Paolo Niccol├▓ Giubelli [Axettone]

I'm referring to the default asp.net 2 login system.

"Scott M." wrote:

> What "login process" are you referring to? A pre-canned one or one of your
> own?

I might be going out a limb here, but passwords are case sensitive, whereas
user names are not. I'm sure you have a perfectly valid reason for wanting
this functionality, but IMHO most users have come to expect that user names
in most cases aren't case sensitive, and in most cases passwords are.

--
Carsten Thomsen
Senior .NET Solutions Architect / Developer / Author
"Paolo Niccol˛ Giubelli [Axettone]" <axettone|at|hotmail|com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to make the login process case sensitive?
> I want to make the user 'bob' unable to logon if he types 'BoB' or if he
> does the same with the password.
> Thank you in advance!

Paolo Niccol├▓ Giubelli [Axettone]

Uhm... I think you're right... Maybe I'll try to edit some of the asp.net
stored procedures.
"<ct>" wrote:

> I might be going out a limb here, but passwords are case sensitive, whereas
> user names are not. I'm sure you have a perfectly valid reason for wanting
> this functionality, but IMHO most users have come to expect that user names
> in most cases aren't case sensitive, and in most cases passwords are.
>
> --
> Carsten Thomsen
> Senior .NET Solutions Architect / Developer / Author
> MCAD/MCSD/MCSE/MCTS
> "Paolo Niccol├▓ Giubelli [Axettone]" <axettone|at|hotmail|com> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is it possible to make the login process case sensitive?
> > I want to make the user 'bob' unable to logon if he types 'BoB' or if he
> > does the same with the password.
> > Thank you in advance!

Dominick Baier

you can download the source code for the sql membership provider - and have
a look...

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...13/442772.aspx

-----