Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Adding attributes in Active Directory

Adding attributes in Active Directory

itsPiyush

I am adding new attributes in Active Directory and adding those
attributes in User class.
Now when I am adding this attributes in Web.config file in
<membership> tag it is not getting reflected.

For eg I added an attribute passwordQuestion in Active Directory
schema. And then I added that attribute in User class.
Now in web.config file I am using this attributes but its not
reflecting.

<system.web>

<membership defaultProvider="MyADMembershipProvider" >
<providers>
<add name="MyADMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershi pProvider,

System.Web,Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
connectionStringName="TestDomain" connectionUsername="testdmn
\Administrator"
connectionPassword="passwd12"
attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"
enablePasswordReset="true"
attributeMapPasswordAnswer="passwordQuestion"
attributeMapPasswordQuestion="PasswordAnswer"
attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerCount="FailedPassA nsCnt"
attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerTime="FailedPassAn sTime"

attributeMapFailedPassswordAnswerLockoutTime="Fail edPassAnsLockTime"/>
</providers>
</membership>
</system.web>

It is giving me error as passwordQuestion is not an attribute of the
user Class

Joe Kaplan

Can you add that data to AD with a lower level tool like ADSI Edit or
Ldp.exe? Perhaps you didn't do the schema extensions correctly. Testing
this with a lower level "pure LDAP" client is a good initial test.

Joe K.

http://www.directoryprogramming.net
--
"itsPiyush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>I am adding new attributes in Active Directory and adding those
> attributes in User class.
> Now when I am adding this attributes in Web.config file in
> <membership> tag it is not getting reflected.
>
> For eg I added an attribute passwordQuestion in Active Directory
> schema. And then I added that attribute in User class.
> Now in web.config file I am using this attributes but its not
> reflecting.
>
> <system.web>
>
> <membership defaultProvider="MyADMembershipProvider" >
> <providers>
> <add name="MyADMembershipProvider"
> type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershi pProvider,
>
> System.Web,Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,
> PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
> connectionStringName="TestDomain" connectionUsername="testdmn
> \Administrator"
> connectionPassword="passwd12"
> attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName"
> requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"
> enablePasswordReset="true"
> attributeMapPasswordAnswer="passwordQuestion"
> attributeMapPasswordQuestion="PasswordAnswer"
> attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerCount="FailedPassA nsCnt"
> attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerTime="FailedPassAn sTime"
>
> attributeMapFailedPassswordAnswerLockoutTime="Fail edPassAnsLockTime"/>
> </providers>
> </membership>
> </system.web>
>
> It is giving me error as passwordQuestion is not an attribute of the
> user Class

itsPiyush

On Mar 16, 11:11 am, "Joe Kaplan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can you add that data to AD with a lower level tool like ADSI Edit or
> Ldp.exe? Perhaps you didn't do the schema extensions correctly. Testing
> this with a lower level "pure LDAP" client is a good initial test.
>
> Joe K.

> Co-author of "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Services Programming"http://www.directoryprogramming.net
> --"itsPiyush" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>

> >I am adding new attributes in Active Directory and adding those
> > attributes in User class.
> > Now when I am adding this attributes in Web.config file in
> > <membership> tag it is not getting reflected.

> > For eg I added an attribute passwordQuestion in Active Directory
> > schema. And then I added that attribute in User class.
> > Now in web.config file I am using this attributes but its not
> > reflecting.

> > <system.web>

> > <membership defaultProvider="MyADMembershipProvider" >
> > <providers>
> > <add name="MyADMembershipProvider"
> > type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershi pProvider,

> > System.Web,Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,
> > PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
> > connectionStringName="TestDomain" connectionUsername="testdmn
> > \Administrator"
> > connectionPassword="passwd12"
> > attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName"
> > requiresQuestionAndAnswer="false"
> > enablePasswordReset="true"
> > attributeMapPasswordAnswer="passwordQuestion"
> > attributeMapPasswordQuestion="PasswordAnswer"
> > attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerCount="FailedPassA nsCnt"
> > attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerTime="FailedPassAn sTime"

> > attributeMapFailedPassswordAnswerLockoutTime="Fail edPassAnsLockTime"/>
> > </providers>
> > </membership>
> > </system.web>

> > It is giving me error as passwordQuestion is not an attribute of the
> > user Class- Hide quoted text -

Can you tell in detail I have added the new attributes through
Microsoft Management Console.

Joe Kaplan

You just need to open up ADSI Edit and locate the object you want to modify.
On the properties tab, you will see the list of attributes for that object
and you can modify them there if you have permissions. If the attributes do
not appear, your schema modification was not correct.