Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Change Password in Administration Website

Change Password in Administration Website

Herb

My users often forget their passwords. Because of this, I have to go into the
Administration website delete and recreate them because I don't see a way to
change their password w/o knowing the existing password.

I realize that the stored procedure aspnet_Membership_ResetPassword exists,
and I will probably start using that, but I was looking for something in the
default Administration Website.

Am I missing asomething obvious?

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hello,

I think you consider the PasswordRecovery Class in ASP.NET. It provide a
option ofr user to get back their password with email. I think this is
better than let user reset the password, and this is also the most popular
way to handle a forgot password:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...rols.passwordr
ecovery.aspx

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

Herb

Luke,

Thanks for the reply. Many of my users do not have email access, so this is
not a viable option.

"Luke Zhang [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I think you consider the PasswordRecovery Class in ASP.NET. It provide a
> option ofr user to get back their password with email. I think this is
> better than let user reset the password, and this is also the most popular
> way to handle a forgot password:
>
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...rols.passwordr
> ecovery.aspx
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Luke Zhang
>
> Microsoft Online Community Support
> ications.

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hello,

For this siuation, we have to use aspnet_Membership_ResetPassword, or
update the data in the database directly. ( The MembershipUser class
provides methods like ChangePassword or ResetPassword, but they can only be
used after a user has login in, and perform some operation like change
password. If a user forgot his password, these methods cannot be used.)