Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Permissions for remote debugging in Visual Studio 2005

Permissions for remote debugging in Visual Studio 2005

Jeff

I'm a bit new to both managing a server and using visual studio pro 2005.
....hopefully, I'll describe the question properly and hopefully this is the
correct newsgroup.

I recently went from the free express version of visual web developer to the
pro version. It is installed on an XP machine that is not connected to a
domain. We are using it to write and test a web application on a development
server. I'm the administrator on both machines. I have a programmer starting
next week who will take over some vb coding for me using the remote XP
machine. The server permissions I set work just fine to get him access.
The remote debugger in visual studio pro, however, will not properly work
from his non-administrator account on the XP machine but it does work fine
from my
admin account on that same machine. It also works fine if I set his user
account to an admin account on the XP machine.

What type of permissions would I need to set to allow him to run the
debugger from the XP machine without giving him full administrator access to
that machine? ...or is this not possible?

Jeff

Luke Zhang [MSFT]

Hell Jeff,

I replied the same issue in another thread yesterday. I repost it here in
case my previous message is missed:

///////////////////////////
From: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Luke Zhang [MSFT])
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 03:14:14 GMT
Subject: RE: Permissions for remote debugging in Visual Studio 2005
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.security

Hello Jeff,

I think you need to add the user in the remote machine's Power User and
Debugger User group. Here is an article on how to set up remote debug with
VS.NET 2005, you may take a look:

How to set up and use remote debugging in Visual Studio .NET or in Visual
Studio 2005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318041

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang