Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > Failed access to IIS metabase problem - Can anyone help please

Failed access to IIS metabase problem - Can anyone help please

Stephen

Server Error in '/FifthValley' Application.

Failed to access IIS metabase.

Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to
access IIS metabase.

The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS
metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on modifying metabase
permissions, please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.]
System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.MapP athCaching(String
siteID, VirtualPath path) +3492138

System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.Syst em.Web.Configuration.IConfigMapPath.MapPath(String siteID, VirtualPath vpath) +9
System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActua l(VirtualPath
virtualPath, Boolean permitNull) +163
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +382
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +243
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetApplicationPathData() +68
System.Web.CachedPathData.GetVirtualPathData(Virtu alPath virtualPath,
Boolean permitPathsOutsideApp) +3385647
System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetLKGRunti meConfig(VirtualPath
path) +189

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
Version:2.0.50727.42
--
Regards
Stephen

Consultant

grant the local users group read access to metabase.xml

"Stephen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Server Error in '/FifthValley' Application.
>
> Failed to access IIS metabase.
> about
>
> Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed
> access IIS metabase.
>
> The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS
> metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on modifying
> metabase
> permissions, please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.
>
> Source Error:

> web
> request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception
> can
>
> Stack Trace:
>

> [HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.]
> System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.MapP athCaching(String
> siteID, VirtualPath path) +3492138
>
> System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.Syst em.Web.Configuration.IConfigMapPath.MapPath(String
> siteID, VirtualPath vpath) +9
> System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActua l(VirtualPath
> virtualPath, Boolean permitNull) +163
> System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +382
> System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +243
> System.Web.CachedPathData.GetApplicationPathData() +68
> System.Web.CachedPathData.GetVirtualPathData(Virtu alPath virtualPath,
> Boolean permitPathsOutsideApp) +3385647
> System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetLKGRunti meConfig(VirtualPath
> path) +189

> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
> ASP.NET
> Version:2.0.50727.42
> --
> Regards
> Stephen

Consultant

also, check this out to dial in your permissions:

"Stephen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Server Error in '/FifthValley' Application.
>
> Failed to access IIS metabase.
> about
>
> Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed
> access IIS metabase.
>
> The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS
> metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on modifying
> metabase
> permissions, please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.
>
> Source Error:

> web
> request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception
> can
>
> Stack Trace:
>

> [HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.]
> System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.MapP athCaching(String
> siteID, VirtualPath path) +3492138
>
> System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.Syst em.Web.Configuration.IConfigMapPath.MapPath(String
> siteID, VirtualPath vpath) +9
> System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActua l(VirtualPath
> virtualPath, Boolean permitNull) +163
> System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +382
> System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +243
> System.Web.CachedPathData.GetApplicationPathData() +68
> System.Web.CachedPathData.GetVirtualPathData(Virtu alPath virtualPath,
> Boolean permitPathsOutsideApp) +3385647
> System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetLKGRunti meConfig(VirtualPath
> path) +189

> Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
> ASP.NET
> Version:2.0.50727.42
> --
> Regards
> Stephen

Consultant

c:\windows\system32\inetsrv

"Mike Dunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Searched for 'metabase.xml' on my PC and could not find it!!! Does this
> file
> always have this name?

Consultant

did you run thru the tool on it? check registry, file permissions, kerberos,
etc..?

"Mike Dunk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for sending the link Downloaded Authentication and Access Control
> Diagnostics which identified that there was an 500 Internal server error.
>
> However, Authentication and Access Control does not give any decimal
> places
> to the error code, unfortunately I am not sure what I should do to resolve
> "Internal server error". What does it mean?
>
> Has anyone had this issue before?
>
> Is there anything I can do with Authentication and Access Control that can
> diagnose the error any further?

Stephen

hello there
we have resolved the issue and did this by re-installing asp.net 2 the
install was corrupt . i believe that it was installed in the incorrect order
we were using iso images of the operating system that iis was not running on
and were running iis after asp.net was installed ,,,making sure iis is
running before installing the asp.net 2.0 resolved our issue
--
Regards
Stephen

"Mike Dunk" wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> I am experiencing the same error message with my own application, and am
> finding the information at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904 mostly
> useless.
>
> I have been advised by co-workers that it sounds like a permission problem
> and that I need to grant access to the folder where the .aspx file I am
> trying to browse occurs.
>
> However, I am not having much success with this approach yet. If you have a
> breakthrough I would be interested to hear how you solved it. If I solve it I
> will let you know how.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Mike
>
> "Stephen" wrote:
>
> > Server Error in '/FifthValley' Application.
> >
> > Failed to access IIS metabase.
> > current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about
> > the error and where it originated in the code.
> >
> > Exception Details: System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to
> > access IIS metabase.
> >
> > The process account used to run ASP.NET must have read access to the IIS
> > metabase (e.g. IIS://servername/W3SVC). For information on modifying metabase
> > permissions, please see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=267904.
> >
> > Source Error:
> >
> > An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web
> > request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can
> > be identified using the exception stack trace below.
> >
> > Stack Trace:
> >

> > [HostingEnvironmentException: Failed to access IIS metabase.]
> > System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.MapP athCaching(String
> > siteID, VirtualPath path) +3492138
> >
> > System.Web.Configuration.MetabaseServerConfig.Syst em.Web.Configuration.IConfigMapPath.MapPath(String siteID, VirtualPath vpath) +9
> > System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.MapPathActua l(VirtualPath
> > virtualPath, Boolean permitNull) +163
> > System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +382
> > System.Web.CachedPathData.GetConfigPathData(String configPath) +243
> > System.Web.CachedPathData.GetApplicationPathData() +68
> > System.Web.CachedPathData.GetVirtualPathData(Virtu alPath virtualPath,
> > Boolean permitPathsOutsideApp) +3385647
> > System.Web.Configuration.RuntimeConfig.GetLKGRunti meConfig(VirtualPath
> > path) +189

> > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET
> > Version:2.0.50727.42
> > --
> > Regards
> > Stephen

Mike Dunk

Thank you Dominick and Consultant for your help. I'm using IIS V5.1, so I
found metabase.bin in C:\WINDOWS\system32\inetsrv and made sure the local
users have access to it.

sbense@btinternet.com

This error occurs when the .NET framework has been installed before
IIS was installed. I had this isse with a new Windows XP machine,
where the .NET framework was pre-installed but IIS had not been
configured.

Run these commands from the .NET VS2005 command prompt or from
the .NET framework folder under
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 for .NET 1.1
OR
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 for .NET 2.0

You only need to run these commands for the framework you would like
your web apps to target.

aspnet_regiis -i
this may not be strictly required, but do it to be sure
aspnet_regiis -ga <THEUSERNAMEINUPPERCASE>

Of course reinstalling the .NET framework would achieve the same
result.