Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > How to create a web application on SBS2003 server ?

How to create a web application on SBS2003 server ?

Tony Girgenti

Hello.

I'm trying to do create a VB ASP.NET web application on a SBS2003 server
with IIS6.0, .NET Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 using Visual
Studio.NET 2003 on an XP Pro, SP2 machine.

When i attempt this, i get this "Web Access Failed" message:
The default web access mode for this project is set to file share, but the
project folder at http://lakeside/TestLakeside cannot be opened with the
path \\lakeside\wwwroot$\TestLakeside. The error returned was:

Unable to create Web project 'TestLakeside'. The file path
'\\lakeside\wwwroot$\TestLakeside' does not correspond to the URL
'http://lakeside/TestLakeside'. The two need to map to the same server
location. HTTP Error 404: Not Found

I know this can be done because of this and numerous other articles from
Microsoft that indicate the same thing:
Configuring the Server Computer
If you are developing on one computer with Visual Studio .NET 2003 and want
to deploy your Web applications to a remote Web server computer, you must
configure the server computer properly. Doing so requires installation of
some Visual Studio .NET 2003 components on the Web server computer.

Note If you are using your development computer as the Web server, you
do not need to follow this procedure; installing Visual Studio .NET 2003 on
your computer configures it properly.
To configure a separate Web server computer for Visual Studio .NET 2003

1.. Run Visual Studio .NET 2003 setup on the Web server computer and
perform Step 1 to install the Visual Studio .NET 2003 Prerequisites.
This installs the .NET Framework on the server computer. When this step is
complete, the setup process returns to Step 2 of the Visual Studio .NET 2003
installation.

2.. Start Step 2 of the setup process. In the left pane of the setup
window are a number of options for the installation. You should:
1.. Clear the selection of all options except Server Components.
2.. Expand the Server Components node and select Web Development and
Remote Debugger.
3.. Then click Install Now to proceed with installation.
3.. Verify that FrontPageŽ Server Extensions are configured. For details,
see Setup\WebServer.htm on Visual Studio .NET 2003 CD1.
4.. Add users who will be creating Web projects to the VS Developers
group.
I tried the suggestions from these web sites:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...luredialog.asp

http://www.iisfaq.com/?View=A538

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329473

http://geekswithblogs.net/timh/archi.../08/53132.aspx

and many more.

Any help that anybody can provide to resolve this problem would be
gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Ken Schaefer

Instead of authoring your application directly on the SBS Server, why don't
you do all your development locally on your Windows XP Pro machine. Then
simply deploy the application (via xcopy) once it's ready for use?

Cheers
Ken

"Tony Girgenti" <tony(nospam)@lakesideos.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello.
>
> I'm trying to do create a VB ASP.NET web application on a SBS2003 server
> with IIS6.0, .NET Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 using Visual
> Studio.NET 2003 on an XP Pro, SP2 machine.
>
> When i attempt this, i get this "Web Access Failed" message:
> The default web access mode for this project is set to file share, but the
> project folder at http://lakeside/TestLakeside cannot be opened with the
> path \\lakeside\wwwroot$\TestLakeside. The error returned was:
>
> Unable to create Web project 'TestLakeside'. The file path
> '\\lakeside\wwwroot$\TestLakeside' does not correspond to the URL
> 'http://lakeside/TestLakeside'. The two need to map to the same server
> location. HTTP Error 404: Not Found
>
> I know this can be done because of this and numerous other articles from
> Microsoft that indicate the same thing:
> Configuring the Server Computer
> If you are developing on one computer with Visual Studio .NET 2003 and
> want
> to deploy your Web applications to a remote Web server computer, you must
> configure the server computer properly. Doing so requires installation of
> some Visual Studio .NET 2003 components on the Web server computer.
>
> Note If you are using your development computer as the Web server, you
> do not need to follow this procedure; installing Visual Studio .NET 2003
> on
> your computer configures it properly.
> To configure a separate Web server computer for Visual Studio .NET 2003
>
> 1.. Run Visual Studio .NET 2003 setup on the Web server computer and
> perform Step 1 to install the Visual Studio .NET 2003 Prerequisites.
> This installs the .NET Framework on the server computer. When this step
> is
> complete, the setup process returns to Step 2 of the Visual Studio .NET
> 2003
> installation.
>
> 2.. Start Step 2 of the setup process. In the left pane of the setup
> window are a number of options for the installation. You should:
> 1.. Clear the selection of all options except Server Components.
> 2.. Expand the Server Components node and select Web Development and
> Remote Debugger.
> 3.. Then click Install Now to proceed with installation.
> 3.. Verify that FrontPageŽ Server Extensions are configured. For details,
> see Setup\WebServer.htm on Visual Studio .NET 2003 CD1.
> 4.. Add users who will be creating Web projects to the VS Developers
> group.
> I tried the suggestions from these web sites:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...luredialog.asp
>
> http://www.iisfaq.com/?View=A538
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329473
>
> http://geekswithblogs.net/timh/archi.../08/53132.aspx
>
> and many more.
>
> Any help that anybody can provide to resolve this problem would be
> gratefully appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

Tony Girgenti

Hello Ken.

Thanks for your reply.

I guess i should have said in my post that i know i can do it locally, i've
been doing that for a few months.

Remote web site is exactly what i want to do.

Thanks,
Tony

news:(E-Mail Removed)...