Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Security > extending the Membership Provider

extending the Membership Provider

Ash

Hi,

I need to create an web application, users dont register themselves, there
are many client firms, we give the client firms a login so that they can set
up there users.

I was wondering if it is sensible to create my own membership system, or
create a custom provider? In my understanding the createUser method would
need at least one extra field "clientId" so that clients can be restricted in
creating logins only for themselves and not creating logins for other clients?

How would i add this extra field into a CreateUserWizard control?

Thanks

Ash

Dominick Baier

you can add extra fields by converting the createuserwizard to a template
control.

But frankly - the membership api does not support this extra field and you
could hack your way through by sending extra data via Context.Items - but
it is still not supported and you are better off in writing your own authentication
library...

All the secuirty control have events you can handle to do your own logic,
e.g. Login.Authenticate.

---
Dominick Baier, DevelopMentor
http://www.leastprivilege.com

> Hi,
>
> I need to create an web application, users dont register themselves,
> there are many client firms, we give the client firms a login so that
> they can set up there users.
>
> I was wondering if it is sensible to create my own membership system,
> or create a custom provider? In my understanding the createUser method
> would need at least one extra field "clientId" so that clients can be
> restricted in creating logins only for themselves and not creating
> logins for other clients?
>
> How would i add this extra field into a CreateUserWizard control?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ash

Membership permissions after publishing an ASP.NET Membership site. Tino Donderwinkel ASP .Net 2 06-18-2008 08:16 AM
Membership or Role Provider // Provider Model // Factories .. How does MS do it? sloan ASP .Net 1 07-03-2007 08:17 PM
Deploying 2.0 app on a Service Provider .. Membership Provider sloan ASP .Net 5 06-03-2006 11:20 PM
Sql Membership provider spp ASP .Net 0 10-19-2005 04:21 PM
Help setting up SQL Express as Membership Provider (ASP.NET 2.0 beta 2) Nate Hekman ASP .Net 0 04-25-2005 05:33 PM

Advertisments